Anyone get IEP extended through Summer months, if so, is it same amount of time as school year, or much less

thanks for input
i am going to try to get services through summer

fiatpax

Asked by fiatpax at 8:12 PM on Feb. 27, 2011 in

• You usually do an IEP review/update once a year. So the IEP goals that are in place should just carry over into the summer. GL
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:17 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• It should be written into the existing IEP if summer school is required. I doubt if it is the exact same amount of time since most summer schools are not as many hours as regular school.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 7:12 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Op, I wonder the same thing I havent spoken to my son's teachers about summer school. But I assume they will let me know soon and yours will to. But each school I'm sure is different
    whoreallycares

Answer by whoreallycares at 4:48 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• spoke to school admin
    she said very few get services in summer
    planning to fight it
    but then heard even if they do get, it is so very little
    one mom said her child has autism also, and her child got summer IEP, but it was like 2 hours a month!
    not worth it then
    fiatpax

Comment by fiatpax (original poster) at 10:55 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• It is rare students with an IEP even get into summer school, for they are already receiving services during the school year. Summer school has limited space, and districts want to allow students who need extra help, and DO NOT get any extra servicesduring the regular school year, to have priority for the summer program. That is how the district I taught for, explained it.

Anonymous