How do you or did you night-time potty trained your child ?

My son is 5 and he is daytime potty trained for a year now.
My husband mainly wants my son to stop using pull ups at night (he is not the one cleaning the sheets ;-)

I was wondering how do you do it or did it. It will give me ideas on how I can tackle this situation.

Thank you in advance for your responses.

Paros

Asked by Paros at 9:13 PM on Feb. 27, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Some kids wet the bed for years, not because they are "lazy" but because they lack fine muscle control or sleep deeply. I would ask your kid's pediatrician for advice.

And make hubby clean the sheets from now on.
    Kristin_Allen

Answer by Kristin_Allen at 9:18 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• my son isn't there yet but my mom used to actually wake me up around 3 in the morning and get me to pee, lol.

this worked for me because i used to be a heavy sleeper and would go right back to sleep.

make sure you get a mattress protector if you don't already have one!
    erinwhitt

Answer by erinwhitt at 9:25 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I woke my kids up at every 3 hours from their bedtime until it was time to get up in the morning and I MADE them go to the bathroom. And within a week they were fully trained overnight.
    LadyEb

Answer by LadyEb at 9:29 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• First off..it is not unusal for 5 yr old boys to not be continent at night. Our pediatrician has a list on his wall and he doesn't even begin to worry about it until after they are 7. Myself I restrict fluids 2 hours before bed. toilet right before crawling in. Between 11-1130 one of us get them up (don't even have to be fully awake) takes them to the bathroom for boys we generally hold a hand on their hiney so that knees touch the bowl and speak softly telling them to pee. Girls we just sat them down. After a while they started getting up about that time on their own and going to the bathroom. The guys at the firestation give my son a hard time because he gets up like clockwork at 1205 to go..lol he's 24.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:31 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• If he is still wetting at night than his body isn't ready yet. It takes time, tell hubby to be patient. He will be out of them soon enough and he will wonder what he ever stressed for.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 11:33 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• He is still young he will out grow it.

HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 9:30 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Pull Ups.
    TwilightMack

Answer by TwilightMack at 11:15 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• My son is 5. He trained at 3 and decided he wanted to wear underpants all the time and just stopped wetting the bed after waking up wet a few times.

My daughter is almost 11. She trained when she was 2-3 (it took forever) but slept in a pull up until she was 8 because she's a heavy sleeper.

Wait until your son is ready to be done. He will let you know when that is.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 7:22 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Men are ignorant. Tell him this issue is phisiological and will clear up on it's own. It is NOT something you can train, reprogram, or correct no matter how hard you try. Google this issue if you don't believe me. I swore I was going to send my DD to 1st grade still wearing a pull up at night, and then she just started waking up dry...tell him to relax! He will only screw up your kid if he makes an issue out of this.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:02 AM on Mar. 2, 2011