Make peace?

So I am having a huge dilemma. My biological parents split when I was 11. My dad cheated on my mom several times. He worked night shift and would sleep for 15 hours a day so we never really saw him. My mom met my step dad two years later and they've been married for five years. Once my mom remarried my dad just disappeared. Now, after seven years of not hearing from him, he sent me a message on facebook saying he wants to talk to me and be a part of my life now that I'm 18 and can decide for myself. But my heart's conflicted. On one hand, he betrayed my mother's trust and abandoned us. He didn't even contest the adoption. But on the other hand, he's my dad and...I'm kind of all he has right now. I know it would devastate my mom and step dad if they knew I was talking to him. I also know that he left because he thought it was best for us. He was in no position to care for us and he was in no psychological state to hang around us. So should I make peace with him? Or should I maintain the seven year silence? It's a huge burden on my heart.

Thanks ladies.

shrugging

MamaStuart

Asked by MamaStuart at 9:35 PM on Feb. 27, 2011 in Relationships

• Thats tough, but since its your dad, I think I would be willing to give it one more try.
    parajumper3

Answer by parajumper3 at 9:38 PM on Feb. 27, 2011