How many of you have considered adoption?

I have a 2 year old DS and 35 weeks pregnant with my second but have always wanted to adopt after I was finished having children.

lovelyheaven271

Asked by lovelyheaven271 at 9:38 PM on Feb. 27, 2011 in General Parenting

• When my boys are a little older we really want to adopt a little girl. Once we buy a house we plan to be foster parents for infants/toddlers. I know lots of older kids need homes too but this is what we want.
    mslksdh

Answer by mslksdh at 9:40 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• If we had a bigger house and more money i would LOVE to adopt. We already have 3 children and only a 2 bedroom duplex so it isnt a possibilitly for us.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 9:44 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I thought about it, but couldn't afford it.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 10:03 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Well if you are finished with children you are complete as a family. If you are not finished expanding your family then of course adoption is always a consideration. But adoption is not for those who say "when I am done having my own children...." Adoption can be something wonderful and it is also a wild journey. If you reach a point in your life where you want more children but do not think it is necessary to carry one in your body in orderto expand your family - go for it. But for a child to hear those words "I was done having all MY children so then I adopted..." that is painful and hurtful.  If you are ready for the roller coaster journey that adoption is and the waiting and wishing then the time is right.  I cannot emphasize enough how much of a journey it is.  And not always a good one.  On the day we were to bring home a little girl from the hospital her mother changed her mind and did not

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:08 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I would love to adopt but it's just so expensive...
    ibelayni

Answer by ibelayni at 10:08 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• terminate her rights. We lost thousands of dollars with that one that did not go through. Each time it is a gamble. And foster care is not easy either. It will cost us more to fost/adopt than it did our private adoption. I am so glad there are families like yours who will consider adoption. Just make sure it is never an after thought - that you had all YOUR kids so now you can raise someone else's. I am sure you didn't mean it that way. But if you are truly interested in adoption the first step is learning the lingo.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:10 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• @frogdawg......You know I even sat and tried to think of a better way to ask the question just for people with your response so excuse me for using the phrase I did in lack of a better one.
    lovelyheaven271

Comment by lovelyheaven271 (original poster) at 10:12 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• My husband signed my son's birth certificate when he was born but he is not the biological father so he know's what it's like raising a child thats not biologically his and would never treat our son any different then the baby were having now and of course I would never treat any children that weren't biologically mine different either I'm sorry you have a chip on your shoulder and attack someone who didn't use the phrases you would.
    lovelyheaven271

Comment by lovelyheaven271 (original poster) at 10:16 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• And I never said when I'm done having MY OWN children if you re read my comment it says when I'm done having children (which in my head when writing it meant actually birthing anymore children from my body)
    lovelyheaven271

Comment by lovelyheaven271 (original poster) at 10:23 PM on Feb. 27, 2011