Calf Pain

Both my kids, 5 and 9, are just getting over the flu (fever, malaise, cough, sniffles) and now have horrible calf pain! So much so that they can't walk! My son was crawling around on the floor for 2 days and now it's just starting in my daughter! My son is just today able to walk on tiptoe. I think it's Benign Acute Childhood Myositis, but I'm wondering if anyone is else experiencing this with their kids after the flu?

dogdoc

Asked by dogdoc at 9:44 PM on Feb. 27, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Could it be lack pf potassium and electolites? try orange juice, pedialite, gaderade, powerade and bananas.GL
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 9:48 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I thought the same on day one what with the fever and all, so loaded him up on water, Gatorade, and bananas. But his fever has resolved and he has no vomiting or diarrhea so should not be losing electrolytes or potassium at this point.
    dogdoc

Comment by dogdoc (original poster) at 9:53 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• So I took my kids to the pediatrician this morning, and yes, both have this Benign Acute Childhood Myositis. It occurs in approximately 10% of uncomplicated flu cases in young children. The doctor says she sees a number of these cases every flu season. She swabbed my daughter's sinuses and she has Influenza B. BACM is associated with infection with either Influenza A or B. I have to say its quite alarmimg when your child can't stand up or walk but as the name implies, very benign! She said they'd both be walking normally in about a week!
    dogdoc

Comment by dogdoc (original poster) at 7:51 PM on Feb. 28, 2011