How do you get married?

I am Christian, SO is Catholic. Neither one of us is very religious...meaning we don't attend church. We aren't going to a justice of the peace. We are renting the shrine.

How do we find someone to perform the ceremony?

Doesn't have to be fancy since it's going to be a very casual affair and immediate family only (will probably only last a couple of hours for ceremony and reception).

We are keeping it VERY simple.

Jademom07

Asked by Jademom07 at 9:49 PM on Feb. 27, 2011 in Relationships

• Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 10:03 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• you can usually get a list from where you got your license of proplr that can perform it for you, or you can look in the yellow pages.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 9:52 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• You could get a Justice of the Peace to perform the ceremony at your location, that's what my cousin did. Or you can get an Independent Minister, they might advertise in the news paper, or call some churches and ask if they have a Minister that can perform a marriage ceremony at another location. Just keep in mind that they may want you to go through a couple classes first. Some Ministers do that to make sure that you're ready and know what you're getting into.
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 10:13 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• If your husband is Catholic, your marriage will not be viewed as being ''real'' while it is legally binding by the state, not in the church. This would only matter if you were to convert into Catholicism. I would recommend going through some form of couple classes before getting married... I know that sounds silly, and old fashioned but it helps prepare you for so many 'marriage' issues that will come. I was not Catholic meeting my husband, he was, and I was curious and went to a few masses. I went through confirmation for 6 months and was confirmed in the Catholic church. We got married in the church a few months later. I am not the most religious person, life is so busy.... but I believe in prayer, and just good actions. With two children 3 and 17 months Mass is a task.. and my church doesn
    t have a nursery so we do not attend regularly.
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 10:52 PM on Feb. 27, 2011