Kindergarten in Sept., what things do your schools ask for a child to know.

My oldest DD is headed for Kindergarten in Sept. I know that schools want kids to know more and more when entering kindergarten. What are somethings that were required for your kids to know before starting kindergarten? I am trying to get her prepped. I just haven't gotten a packet yet for our school, but started workshops. My DD does not got to preschool. She did for one year, but I am hardly working right now so I keep the kids home with me. I didn't know if I could start some homeschooling or not.

MommyPeck3

Asked by MommyPeck3 at 10:01 PM on Feb. 27, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• You can teach her the basics like writing her name, numbers, shapes, adding, counting, etc.. You can find preK books at Walmart, or any book store. Bob books are good to start with for reading. You should be able to obtain many things to help you out with at your local library. Your school district might also have a Parents As Teachers program. Just give them a call and they can help you.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:07 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Our schools didn't require the kids to know anything going in. Half the kids in DS's class didn't even know most of their numbers or letters (they had charts on the wall showing which kids knew which letters and stuff). It depends on your school district.

..We homeschool now.
    Anonymous

• Yeah, well there are possible rumors going around that our School District may not be offering kindergarten. I am not sure how they'd get away with it. But in PA kindergarten is not mandatory. I am just taking matters in my own hands and working with her. We are learning to write three letters a day and recognize them. She has been writing name for past year or more, and can say ABC's. She just I think needs to know the letters much better, sometimes she guesses. She knows her numbers very well though.

MommyPeck3

Comment by MommyPeck3 (original poster) at 10:23 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• At the 2 schools my kids went to for kindergarten (a public school in PA and a Catholic school in IL) all they needed was to be 5 before a certain date. There were no other requirements.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:43 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I would call the school and find out, but it sounds like she is on the right path. Some dollar store also carry letters and number you can hang on the wall. Like the ones you see in school and get some award stickers. kids love them.

HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 9:28 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I didn't do anything. I just sent her to school. She does awesome. It's kindergarten. What does a kid know at 5 or 6 years old? :)
    TwilightMack

Answer by TwilightMack at 11:15 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• She should know her first and last name, and how to write it. It helps if she already knows her letters, numbers through 20, colors, and basic shapes. They will work on all of that in class, but she'll have a much easier time if she is already familiar with it.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 7:21 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Thanks all... You just hear oh well my child can read and not even in Kindergarten yet, or my child can do this and that. I was just making sure I was on course.
    MommyPeck3

Comment by MommyPeck3 (original poster) at 10:09 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• ours go to pre-k first ( army) and they can wite their names, count to 20, sort, do patterns ( AB, AAB, ABA, AABB, etc) know their colors, and shapes, cut and color on the lines, problem solve, remember sequences, and recogniz the numbers 1-0. recognize A-Z and say the alphabet! Plus more things that are simply fill ins! That is all known by the graduation of pre-K! Good lck!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 10:32 AM on Mar. 3, 2011