What can I do for my church to make it grow?

Today I was baptised and joined my church. We only have an average of 10 people a week in attendance. Sounds strange but i live in WV way out in the country and there are lots and lots of little churches everywhere. they where built long ago when people walk or took a buggy to church. I move here 3 months ago and i am really excited to help the church and try to get attendance up. Got any good idea's? thanks

Dianakk

Asked by Dianakk at 10:04 PM on Feb. 27, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Home bible studies. Invite people over for a bible study or make yourself available to go to them.

ptomom678

Answer by ptomom678 at 10:06 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• be a good Christian.. If others see a change in you, they will want to know where it came from & where to get "some of that"...
    attend everything possible you can. and invite others ( you dont want to be over pushy, but ask more than once! It took my BFF a few months for me to attend her church, Me,dh,dd went twice & loved it.. DH ask his family & that got my grandmother in law into going. DH nephew & even my MIL drives about 1hr to attend with us!)...
    get out into the community! Go visit "Old Folks Homes", do stuff for the shelters in your area, get involved in women shelters. You get the idea! :)
    Have small town festivals, crafts booths, cake bake offs.. Whatever the Church can manage to get the community together..
    Good Luck.. God Bless!
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 10:15 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• If you have a good health and wellness program/ ministry, that will help the whole congregation with health issues that they face everyday..
    dvdiva7

Answer by dvdiva7 at 10:15 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Activities for families..picnics, suppers, things for the kids.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:55 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I think tyfry is right. You need to focus on children. If a church offers things for children, folks are more likely to come. I attended a small church like that. There weren't any kids at all. After going for a short time, I decided it wasn't for me. My DH attends what I call an "old folks" church. The congregation is made up of mainly elderly people. There's nothing for kids, and the church is beginning to die out. So if you can get your church on board to offer a variety of things for children, and invite everybody you know that has kids, then maybe attendance will start to pick up. Good luck and God bless!
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 11:54 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I believe we do not make a church grow... Holy Spirit draws the people in and we provide what God wants for that particular church.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:45 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Oh. Ya. forgot about the children.. and thats funny since its 1 on the reasons we love our church so much! Their childrens program is amazing. and they have alot of stuff for teens & young adults.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 12:18 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• the best way to help your church grow is to grow yourself. be in the word daily, saturated with Gods presence, and once you are full of God you won't be able to help yourself but to share God with those around you.
    this is what my sunday school class is doing, we've grabbed a hold of Jesus, set aside distractions in daily life and we spend time in the word daily. i can honestly say the young adults sunday school class is the only one growing at all! it's all about growing ourselves and being right with God ourselves. its the only way we can be salt to the world, to those around us, to make them wonder how we're different.
    fordeeperroots

Answer by fordeeperroots at 10:33 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• You ladies are wonderful. Thanks for all the ideas and encouragement. I love it when I don't get one single rude comment. lol God Bless and I will be working on these ideas. Love and hugs to you all God Bless
    Dianakk

Comment by Dianakk (original poster) at 10:39 AM on Mar. 1, 2011