My baby is sick!!!!!! worried......

took her to the doc on friday he said she has a bad cold.. well she had a 102 temp yesterday but we got it down but all day was a nightmare... today she was better but all of a sudden tonight she spiked a fever of 102.5 while on motrin .. i called the doc on call (not her doc) her said this is all normal that it could even go higher.. ok well as she is laying here in my arms she is breathingb hard bc of fever and moaning.. i cant give her more meds for another 1.5 hours.... what can i do??? she is only 7 months old first time sick

randilinn

Asked by randilinn at 10:15 PM on Feb. 27, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• a cool bath or a cool wash cloth on her forehead. good luck, I will say a prayer
    parajumper3

Answer by parajumper3 at 10:19 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• its at 103.3 now.... thank u
    randilinn

Comment by randilinn (original poster) at 10:20 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• try to relax. i know it is sooo hard when our babies are sick. love your baby, keep your baby as comfortable as possible, and keep your baby hydrated. do not worry so much about the temperature. it is a measurement. that is all. your baby can withstand much higher temps. if your baby is fighting a virus, then there is nothing that can be done. an antibiotic will cause more harm than good.
    i am sure that your baby will be better by the morning.
    are you breastfeeding? feed your baby, and feed her some more.
    everything is going to be fine!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:22 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• What you need to do is switch from Tylenol to Ibuprofen. So if you give her Tylenol, you can't give her anymore for another four hours so if she gets a fever within that four hours you would need to then give her ibuprofen. And let her sleep, its the only thing that will help. As long as you can get her to drink something and keep the fever down you should be ok.
    tiffalicious

Answer by tiffalicious at 10:32 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I agree with the responses as above, cool bath, pedilite to keep her hydrated and alternate from tylenol and ibuprofen, and sleep let her sleep. is the only side effect a fever?
    brooklyndm

Answer by brooklyndm at 10:47 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I had that problem with my dd. She was running a temp from 102 - 104 for 4 days. It started on a Friday, so I had to wait until Monday to see the doctor. She was checked over by the Dr on call, her dr was full and could not see mine. She noticed a little tightness in the chest but nothing more than that. I was told to just give her meds to help her feel better, but there was nothing any one could because she had a bad cold. The following week, I took her to her regular doctor to find out she had pneumonia. Make sure they check her head to toe. A baby does not run a high fever for no reason, no matter what some whack dr might say. Sorry your baby is sick. We will be thinking about you.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 1:22 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• first off try to relax and calm down yourself I know it is hard but she can sense that you are upset. secondly like the other moms said cool bath or cool washcloth, Motrin and Tylenol(give Motrin first then wait 3-4 hours and then give Tylenol) That is what my doctor told me to do with my son and it has worked for him. Good luck and hang in there
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 7:34 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Thank you ladies we made it through the night.. no sleep for me but she slept pretty good.. I called the doc he told me to give her tylenol and motrin together every 6 hours that seems to be what brought the fever down.. I was alternating them every 4 hours and that wasnt doing anything...
    she is coughing a lot, runny nose, not eating, high fever.. that's about it.... oh yeah when the doctor checked her she said she heard wezzing in her left lung but that isn't a big deal! i thought it would be but idk
    randilinn

Comment by randilinn (original poster) at 8:20 AM on Feb. 28, 2011