Gettin my 3 yr old son to use the potty

now the thing is he just turned 3 an i knw he knws he nds to stop goin n pullups. he did so good for like 3wks then he just stoped an dnt want nothing to do with it. he would never tell me he has to go i have to just put him on it. i just dnt knw wat else to do with him

kelleyplus2

Asked by kelleyplus2 at 10:18 PM on Feb. 27, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• mine's the same way im going to pick a couple days i have no one coming over and taking away all bottoms. No pull ups no under wear not even pants and I hear that's gonna put him off because he wont have that comfort of something to go in. He knows where to go and what it feels like to have to go he just doesn't lol. i know there will be accidents but hey i have a carpet shampooer lol
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 10:45 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I had the same problem with my 3 yr old son. He had done it before fine, then one morning woke and decided he wasn't gonna do it anymore. I knew it was a control issue then so i took all diapers and pull ups away. and said no tv or toys unless he tried to sit on the potty. I would not and hadn't punished him for not going potty but he made me mad when he said he was gonna wear "baby diapers forever" right when i was getting ready to put one on him. He cried as he sat on the potty but he did it, He didn't go then but i put those training underwear on him and told him when he starts going potty in the potty then he could wear the cool character underwear. He was potting in the potty by the next day and he has only had 1 accident at night in 2.5 wks. And he refusing to wear anything but underwear now. I am not saying to punish ur child but mine was doing it out of spite and i knew he knew what to do. good luck.
    brooklyndm

Answer by brooklyndm at 10:36 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• mine is 4 and I'm having a hell of a time. I just need him potty trained by sept 2012 when he starts k. Boy I have been told are really hard to get to potty trained. However pull ups makes them think diaper, and so they go. All the boy parents I know had to suffer with alot of clean up and used only underwear soon the boys learned to keep dry.
    whoreallycares

Answer by whoreallycares at 4:26 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Let him be nakey and have the potty in each room he spends a lot of time in so that he doesn't have to stop play very long or at all to potty. Don't make a big deal out of it. Have the potties around, let him play with sitting there even if he isn't going, don't pay attention, don't make a big deal, let them become part of normalcy. Let him see you and Dad pee. Have a little potty next to the big toilet so you can go at the same time too. Don't do anything when he has a miss either. All of that energy that goes into potty training, be it positive or negative, creates anxiety for the kiddos. So, just, let it be normal, like eating or putting on shoes.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 6:41 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I also agree that when you can avoid absorbency (pull-ups) you should because then he will feel the functions of his body and the results better. Thin underwear whenever you can and thick underwear that keeps the poo/pee mostly in on the playground. Thick underwear- http://continuum-family.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=11_49
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 6:44 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• thanks everyone ill try anything at this point. have til sept want him to start a program wish me luck lol
    kelleyplus2

Comment by kelleyplus2 (original poster) at 3:01 PM on Feb. 28, 2011