Why does every restaurant feel the need to put a TV in the dining area?

Ok, if its a sports bar type place, fine, but now my Wendy's has one. (with really bad reception I must add.) There are more restaurants these days that have a stupid TV! Ok, lets really take away more family time because of a loud TV blaring, and then people having to talk LOUDER to hear each other over that noise! UGH

autbot

Asked by autbot at 10:29 PM on Feb. 27, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Good question! I think it's stupid too, either there is no sound, so the tv is pointless or there is sound and that makes it bothersome. If I wanted to watch tv I would have stayed home.
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 10:33 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Ha!ha! you bet on that. May be couples who come there & have got nothing to talk to each other can atleast watch T.V. while dining in....
    AnuMeha

Answer by AnuMeha at 10:49 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I agree with you. I don't like it either. I think it's kinda sad when I see a family out to dinner together and no one is talking bc they're all watching the tv's.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:54 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• They put the tvs there to distract you so you don't realize how long you are waiting for them to bring your food lol
    toybar02

Answer by toybar02 at 1:13 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Why? To give you something to watch besides eating I quess
    Nitestalker

Answer by Nitestalker at 4:23 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• We eat at local restaurants; they do not have televisions. That's not true. We go to a Russian restaurant that has Russian satellite TV; a Spanish restaurant that has Spanish satellite TV, etc.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:38 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Because if you eat while watching tv, you'll eat more absently, not paying attention to your stomach and whether you're actually full, and hopefully (for them) order extra drinks or food or desserts that you do not need, and would not want if you were paying attention to your stomach. It's the same reasoning that you're told not to eat in front of the tv at home, especially if you want to lose weight.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:43 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Ms anon with the dramatics, if you read what I wrote, I didn't say ALL, I said there are more, so you are the one going overboard. You probably put a negative comment on every freaking question, of course anonymously. Freaking man up to your comments or don't put any. If I want to voice an irritant of tvs popping up everywhere, I will. And, I'm sorry, do you live in my town? So even if I did say ALL you wouldn't know.
    autbot

Comment by autbot (original poster) at 10:34 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• They drive me crazy. I'll be chatting away to DH and enjoying a nice meal only to realize he is watching the TV behind me and has not heard one word I've said. Ugh.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 11:38 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I haven't seen that, but then I don't go to fast food restaurants. Go to a small family-run local restaurant, and I don't think you'll see a tv.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 12:24 PM on Feb. 28, 2011