Do you or dont you give your child rewards for potty training - i've heard and read so many conflicting things.

I dont feel right about giving food and candy as a reward but what about small toys or stickers.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:49 PM on Feb. 27, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You should do what you think is best and what you think your child will like. WIth my older son I did a sticker chart and when he filled up a line he got a little toy car. I tried to make it get progressively harder, like a triangle, so he might get a car the very first time he peed in the potty, then he would have to get maybe 3 more stickers until his next car, and then 6 or something like that. I tried again with my daughter and it seemed like nothing worked until I bought her Sesame Street uderwear. I just happened to find them on clearance and she wanted to wear them and potty trained herself that day. She still has accidents at night, but she's had maybe one accident since and that was in August. Anyway, all kids are different and you just have to figure out what motivates your child that you are comfortable with.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 10:53 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• we did a sticker chart. I let her help me make it and we hung it up in the bathroom. Everytime she went potty she got a sticker. She loved it.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 10:50 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• we've done it all. but dd liked the stickers and just plain encouragement the best!
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 10:53 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I'll give rewards when it's time. I'll probably do stickers and small toys. I don't see how small rewards could possibly hurt!
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:57 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I did a sticker chart with my daughter and she loved it. and then I would let her cash them in for a prize (toys, coloring stuff).
    NikLvsNick

Answer by NikLvsNick at 10:59 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I gave stickers & candy but most of all praise & encouragement.

iluvmykidsxoxo

Answer by iluvmykidsxoxo at 11:01 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• i give her a high five when she goesin potty, this seems enough right now
    but not even close to potty training, therapists and i think maybe Late Spring when warmer means less clothes issues
    when that time comes, sticker chart sounds like a good idea
    also going to try PECS with it
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 11:02 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• do what works for your child.try different things...I learned that when i gave treats I started running out of money and every time they went potty they were looking for a treat and that was not what I wanted for them...so recognition worked best for my children.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 11:13 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I started with candy to get my son interested then moved to small toys when he started to lose interest. Hot wheels cars are only $1 so it wasn't bad! That sealed the deal for us! YAY!!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 11:33 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• i just got excited with him. he loved that i was happy and we danced and high fived. my son was a late though. he was days under three...
    MoMoFu

Answer by MoMoFu at 11:59 PM on Feb. 27, 2011