Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Legal guardianship

My friend is having a hard time getting on her feet and we have discussed turning legal guardianship over to me until she can take care of them. Does anyone know if I need lawyer or not?

Answer Question

Asked by ptomom678 at 11:13 PM on Feb. 27, 2011 in General Parenting

Level 15 (2,174 Credits)
Answers (7)
  • Yes, you will need court paperwork showing legal guardianship. Been there done that.

    Answer by specialwingz at 11:15 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

  • thanks!

    Comment by ptomom678 (original poster) at 11:17 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

  • did not mean to post this in back to school

    Comment by ptomom678 (original poster) at 11:29 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

  • You do not need a lawyer but it would be a good idea to talk to a family law attorney or perhaps someone in legal aid.

    Answer by legalmommy101 at 12:36 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

  • we had legal guardianship over dh little bro for the summer and all we had to do was get a note from his mom saying like he's living with us and we are not taking any perental rights from her and he is allowed to go home and see her whenever he wants to. we had to get it noterized(sp?) but that was it. we live in texas so the laws where your at might be different.

    Answer by dreamangel06 at 12:40 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

  • I didn't take parental rights either. However, to enroll them in school, the school requested copies of the court issued order. This is a state governed issue. If your state doesn't require this, the very LEAST you will need is a letter from the bio-parents stating you have temporary guardianship and medical permission. This will need to be signed in front of and by a notary public. But, truly, checking with a family law attorney would be a smart thing to do.

    Answer by specialwingz at 10:44 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

  • No, you don't need an attorney although that would make it easier. You can go to the family court office and fill out the paperwork and pay the fee, as long as the mother is willing to sign over temporary custody. You can even list how long the guardianship would last.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:07 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.