Failing teen

MY 13 year old son has not had 1 passing grade since school started. Every teacher complains about the same thing. He talks too much with his friends. I told him I was going to home school him. Would I be punishing myself by home schooling or should I let him repeat 7 grade?

ptomom678

Asked by ptomom678 at 11:19 PM on Feb. 27, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Make him repeat. Tough love mama.
    WARNING

Answer by WARNING at 11:24 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• maybe its time you have a serious talk with him..tell him all those friends arent going to be there for him when they are a grade ahead of him. He will be left behind to make friends with the 6th graders while his friends are moving ahead.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 11:24 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• What do his teacher's recommend? I would ask for their help. Maybe lunch or after school detention if he doesn't follow class rules...
    also take away privilieges if he is not passing by each Friday. No phone, tv or going out with friends....
    HOTMOMJD

Answer by HOTMOMJD at 11:39 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I'd find out what's going on before making a decision. See if your school district has an online school like Phoenix. They still go to school but it's different. They spend more time at the computer and less chances of spending lots of time talking.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:46 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Go to school and sit in his classes. When he see's that you're serious, then maybe he will get serious about school. I sat in our sons class when he was in the 6th grade and he's kept his behavior in check ever since. He was so embarrassed and I told him if he ever acted up again I would be back in the classroom.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:49 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• You have to come down hard and fast or he's going to think you're just talking... To teens we're just mumbling to them, when you show up at school, he will wake up, trust me. Don't tell him you're going to, just contact his teachers, and let them know you are, and surprise him.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:51 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• It's his fault for not keeping his grades up. Let him repeat the grade. I don't think that his friends will be in his class next year, so you shouldn't have to worry about him talking to them.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 1:08 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Have you had him tested for any learning disabilities?? Have you had him evaluated by a psychiatrist??

While homeschooling is AN answer it isn't always THE answer. Request LD testing in WRITING, if he hasn't already been tested. If you can afford it, have him evaluated by a pediatric psychiatrist who will look for anything from learning disabilities, to add/adhd to any mental disorders. Go talk to the school and see if you can sit in on some of his classes, request a conference (Should have had one by now if he is failing) to go over plan of action for the remaining school year.

Good Luck!!!
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:57 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• You need to determine why he is failing, before you can know how to move forward.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:10 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I think home schooling would be a bad idea. If he cant even cooperate at school where there are teachers, detentions, and other kids learning what makes you think he will behave for you. He is young enough that you should just start punishing him more for bad grades and rewarding more for good grades. He obviously has decided he doesnt care if he fails, so make the stakes higher until he cares. If his friends are the distraction then he shouldnt be able to call, chat online, or hang out with them until his grades go up.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 1:28 PM on Feb. 28, 2011