Lice...

If a friend or relative had a kid that had lice and their kid was with your child, and the parent KNEW that the child had lice and did not tell you, what would you do?

I have been in the opposite situation and I DID tell the family/other childs parents. I feel that it is not something that should be hidden, considering how hard it can be to get rid of, that it is something that needs to be communicated. The parents I told (before I let my child around them) were always grateful to know and were never upset.

summerbear

Asked by summerbear at 11:21 PM on Feb. 27, 2011 in General Parenting

• Be wary of people like that. We know a family who will come visit knowing they are sick (never lice, thank goodness, but with the flu! and bad colds) or invite us over and not say a thing until we are in their home. I really try to be open about my kids' being sick (and myself) as well as keep us home until better, so as not to spread germs.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 11:35 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• That's an important thing to share. While lice aren't deadly, they can cause many issues and lots of work. You were very responsible in informing everyone of the current lice situation. I think anyone who withheld that information should NOT be trusted. My sister got lice from another child at school and I lost my favorite quilt to it. My mom feared that she couldn't wash it properly and just tossed it.........................I still mourn that quilt! lol
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 2:30 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I would have been pissed and made it known that they were in the wrong for not telling you!
    A friend of ours did that - come to find out our 3 yr old got it from their DD and they didn't tell us until They called to tell us our DD had it (they were watching her) Took us almost a month to fully get rid of it and they don't watch our DD anymore.
    monshine2

Answer by monshine2 at 12:38 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I would be so angry!! I feel they are obligated to tell you when their child has lice or is sick! I also have friends who will be throwing up (not that you know it) and come around. Or invite you over, I despise this! I'm always courteous enough to let everyone know when we're sick or even if we had been sick! I would let this person know it's not ok! And that you'll send them your bill for all the chemicals to treat your family.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 9:26 PM on Feb. 28, 2011