Has anyone in your family had pinworms? adult content

The other day when I was helping my toddler wipe after a bowel movement, I noticed something in her poo. There was this little white squiggly thing. It wasn't moving and look a lot like a white string, but it was embedded in the poo. So either she ate a string or something or it could be a pinworm. She doesn't seem to have any itchiness down there though.

So, would you just assume it was a string or nothing serious or would you assume it's pinworms and get her to the Dr?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:21 AM on Feb. 28, 2011 in Kids' Health

• personally, i would have the Dr check things out to be safe rather than sorry.
    Satiblue

Answer by Satiblue at 12:26 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Pinworms will actually come out of the anus at night time while the child is sleeping. If you take a flashlight and check her bottom while she sleeps, this will give you a better indication of whether or not she has them. If you do identify pinworms, don't mess around with over-the-counter remedies. Call the Dr. The entire family will have to be treated. Pinworms can be very difficult to get rid of. All bedding will have to be washed, carpets vacuumed, toys and stuffed animals washed, etc. Just out of curiosity, does your daughter suck her thumb? My daughter was a thumb-sucker and I think this is how she picked up pinworms - dirty hands in the mouth. I hope what you saw was just something random ... pinworms are disturbing! Good luck, Mama!
    chrlstoncharmed

Answer by chrlstoncharmed at 1:23 AM on Feb. 28, 2011