No such thing as a free pet, now i get it! LOL

We got 2 of our cats for free from a friend many years ago. they are both about 9. My mom always used to say that there was no such thing as a free pet. I always disagreed. But i think I get it now. one of our cats is now diabetic and his food costs like cat food GOLD or something a month. for about the first 6 months after he was diagnosed we had to give him insulin twice a day. NOT cheap.

anyone else have a "free" pet like this? how do you manage? would you ever consider putting an animal down if you could not afford its care? or giving it up?

Satiblue

Asked by Satiblue at 12:42 AM on Feb. 28, 2011 in Pets

• NEVER!!!! my cat also was diabetic we also gave him insulin two time a day. he is now in kitty heaven after living for seventeen years. My dog was free till he got looses from my apartment and I found him in the pound well they wouldent let me have him till they tried to reach his previouse owners. well they couldent so they said that I could have him. I payed eighty four dallars to get him out of the pound cause they wanted to nuter him,
    EliasMommyDec09

Answer by EliasMommyDec09 at 12:47 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I have a rescued pet. He wasn't free-free, but only cost us 60 bucks. He is now 3 and man it has not been easy. He has anxiety issues and an extremely aggressive gum disease. He's very skittish and demands attention daily. He is also terrified of our DD. He's consistently on and off antibiotics, gets special food and water additives, etc. It's costly and time consuming but I would not trade it for the world. Not to mention he is currently obese. We've been trying to get his weight done, but when we limit his food he tends to become quite destructive. =/

I would only put an animal down if they were suffering. I would not put an animal down because I could not afford to take care of it. I feel like taking on an animal means YOU WILL and CAN afford these things. Once it gets to the point to where you cannot handle it anymore, he/she should be rehomed to a family that is better equipped to handle the situation.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 12:49 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• My love, Page. Despite everything I would not trade this big man for the world. He is the BEST! =)

Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 12:52 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• We have had to sacrifice a few times to be able to make sure our Diabetic fellow gets what he needs to be healthy. But its worth it to us. these are family members we assumed responsibility for when we took them as ours.
    Satiblue

Comment by Satiblue (original poster) at 12:48 AM on Feb. 28, 2011