Tornado season...

When is tornado eason for alabama?

Obviously it has already began and I know its in spring but how long does it last?

Thanks! I absolutely HATE STORMS!!

EheartsZ07

Asked by EheartsZ07 at 1:19 AM on Feb. 28, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Tornadoes are most common in spring and least common in winter, typically. But for the most part they can occur anytime the atmosphere, conditions, instability ect. are ripe for a tornado. I used to tornado chase, talk about an adrenalin rush!!!! Ain't nothing like seeing a big 'ol EF5 tornado to put just how small u really are!!
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 1:34 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Did u know back in April 3-4 1974 there was a total of 148 tornado in a 24 hr period?? F-5 tornados hit the following: •Xenia Ohio
    •Cincinnati Ohio
    •Brandenburg Kentucky
    •Harvest Alabama (also had a F4 later on in the day)
    •Guin Alabama
    •DePauw Indiana

Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 1:43 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• And all the following states also got hit: Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, North Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia, New York and Ontario Canada.

•Duration of the Super Outbreak – 18 hours
    •Death Toll – 330 people
    •Number of People Injured – over 6,000
    •Estimated Property Damage - $600 million
    •Total Area of Destruction – 900 square miles
    •Total Combined Path – 2600 miles
    •Number of Tornadoes with Paths over a Mile Long – 118
    •Number of Tornadoes on the Ground at the Same Time – 15

Reading and researching tornados is my obsession, they just are endlessly fascinating!! Plus the more u know the more u can stay safe, and the less afraid u r.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 1:48 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I grew up in Ky. and saw some awful damages caused by tornados. Cows with tobacco stalks through them like spears. My sil lost her grandparents one year. They found her gtandmother sitting in her rocking chair in a field. The tornado picked her up and landed her there, it was awful! My brother & I would play chicken and sit on the back porch watching it come our way and the first one to run to safety was the chicken! Parents were at work, I hate tornados!!
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 1:57 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• My sister and I were living in Neb and our parents were in town getting stuff to eat. I was cleaning up the kitchen whren my sis who was 8 at the time started screaming really loud. I went to the window where she was pointing and I saw a mile in half wide tornado. There was no warning, we had thunderstorms, but they didn't seem to be that bad. I couldn't get to our storm shelter cause the tornado was about a football field lengh away. I couldn't even open thje door. We went to the bathroom in the middle of the house and waited. When it was over, our neighbors house was gone, everything. If they would have been there they would of died. Their house was really close to ours, I mean it wa about 20 feet give or take. My house had a shingle missing and a tree was twisted.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 2:16 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I grew up in SE Pennsylvania, and on occasion we'd have tornadoes. Never anything huge..but it did destroy my elementary school. LOl thats how long ago the last bad one was. We also had a tornado when I was PG with my son, oh my it was scary!
    KolbysMomma1

Answer by KolbysMomma1 at 2:23 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• we just went through a tornado warning overnight in Indiana :( really odd being February
    WildCat73

Answer by WildCat73 at 10:10 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Tornado season in Arkansas is usually march to the beginning of may..but we were under tornado watches quiet a bit until November..the weather was simply strange. Lol I hate storms too, and I knew as soon as may hit that things would start to die down.
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 10:55 PM on Feb. 28, 2011