We have been reseahing adoption for about a year now and i dont really know where to start i want to adopt independently how do go about finding a brith mother? there is alot of infomation out there. i just want to be a great mommy some day soon

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:59 AM on Feb. 28, 2011 in Adoption

• which aspect of adoption? as a birth mother? as adoptive parents? I am a birth mother, i gave a child up for adoption 12 years ago.
    Satiblue

Answer by Satiblue at 2:07 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Never heard of an "adoption lease".

I've both placed a child for adoption and have adopted a child
    5150mama

Answer by 5150mama at 5:25 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Before entering into any part of adoption, do a lot of research. Including the life-long effects of adoption on both the natural mothers and the adoptees, not to mention the effects on all members of the natural family, the present/future siblings of the adoptee, even the adoptive parents. Adoption is not all sunshine & rainbows. Adoption is built first and foremost on loss.
    susie703

Answer by susie703 at 10:43 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• It sounds as if you are interested in domestic infant adoption (as opposed to foster adoption or international adoption).

The first step in adoption is a home study by a licensed social worker. Once you hire a social worker to do the home study, she will guide you as to the information you need (eg, a fingerprint check, a criminal background check, a child abuse registry check, a health certificate from your doctor and a balance sheet of your finances.) As part of the homestudy, you will need to meet with the social worker and have the social worker tour your home.

Your social worker can also give you insight and counseling about adoption and raising an adopted child.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. Good luck!
    ARgal

Answer by ARgal at 1:11 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• My suggestion is to find a local adoption support group. Not sure where you are but I belong to one in NJ.
    If you want to find one in your area just google it. Go and talk to the people in that group. They will be able to guide you to good adoption agency/attorney in your area. Laws vary state to state.
    If you are in NJ feel free to contact me and I will help in anyway I can.
    kristen308

Answer by kristen308 at 1:25 PM on Mar. 1, 2011