Has anyone ever had a child declare they were gay at the age of 16 and then later in life not be gay?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:27 AM on Feb. 28, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• NO, but I am curious about what prompted this question.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 4:07 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• no, but I thought at a couple points as a teen that I was gay. and now I am married 9 years. I am bi-sexual however. but monogamous.

Satiblue

Answer by Satiblue at 5:12 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• My son went through a period where he was wondering if he was bi sexual, he called it bi curious, but now he says that he isn't and its just a phase he went through, he dates girls, but always have, so i don't know, i sometimes wonder too, either you are or your not. its a really hard subject when it comes to your own kid. He is really religious and says it was the devils way of getting to him. So really i don't know, i am thinking that maybe your going through something?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:19 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• some teens go through this, and probly alot more now that it's more "out there" in society. my sister and i never went through this, although a few friends we had as teenagers did. (we knew they weren't, we understood they were just going through a phase at the time, we knew them too well lol) now they're either living with their boyfriends or married to their husbands. could'a just been a phase
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 6:26 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• anon- your son could be right, if he's serious about the devil trying to get to him. there is a preacher (forgive me, i don't remember his name) you can find him on youtube that says he was gay and he pushed passed it through Christ...he's preaching to teens in the video, wish i could remember what the video was called...
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 6:28 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I have dealt with gay youth for many years and never have I seen this scenario, if your daughter came out as gay and you are in denial, you are hanging on to anything that will not make it so. Use your efforts to understand and know where she is coming from, and be supportive, this isn't a choice, it is an innate trait that cannot be changed period.

Answer by older at 7:54 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Love them as they are. ALOT of girls in my school were or went through a gay phase. Most are with men now. But some are very happily gay & cant imagine life any other way..
    There are some people that i went to school with that were straight... until after graduation! They decided during college years to come out & admit they knew it all along.

MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 9:25 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• While most teens question their identity, every gay person I know, knew at a very young age that she/he was gay

Answer by rkoloms at 11:08 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• It sounds like that would be pretty normal. There are alot of confusing feelings and hormones jumbled together in your teen years and questioning your place and identity seems like a normal result to me.

Something also could have happened to them, some kind of break-up or trauma that made them think they could never be with a person of the opposite sex again. But time heals and later in life they learned to be comfortable with being straight again? Just a guess.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 1:04 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• no
    HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 2:10 PM on Mar. 1, 2011