Anyone know what this is? numbness

a few weeks ago i noticed an odd tingling sensation in my left pinky finger and along that side of my hand . now my left pinky finger is completely numb most of the time with numbness extending 3/4 down that side of my hand. sometimes its hard to type because my pinky doesnt really do what i want it to , since i cannot feel it correctly. i have had to become very careful to not catch or bend it the wrong way. i do plan on seeing my family dr soon concerning this. i am assuming its gotta be carpal tunnel?

Satiblue

Asked by Satiblue at 5:15 AM on Feb. 28, 2011 in Health

• you can buy a wrist brace with boning in it until then and wear it at all the time and see if that helps and try not to sleep on that hand. It will make it worse.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 8:06 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I am a CNA and i would guess carpel tunnel, a pinched nerve or could be a sign of diabetes. I would hope just a pinched nerve! sounds like carpel tunnel however, sorry.
    lovmyhubby

Answer by lovmyhubby at 5:33 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I had that one time in my thumb, It went on for days. I later ran into a massage therapist and told her about my thumb being numb and the next thing i knrw shw took my hand and started massaging it really hard!! She did it so hard for like 5 or more minutes, but later on that day it was gone! She said it was a pinched nerve,
    anichols1

Answer by anichols1 at 5:47 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• It sounds like carpal tunnel. I had to have carpal tunnel release surgery on each wrist. It was unbearable. You can see a hand dr who will send you to a neurologist if you like or it gets worse.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 7:28 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I get a numbing tingling sensation from my armpits to my fingers (especially the pinky).  I talked to my doctor about it and she sent me for x-rays.  It turns out I have osteo-arthritis in my spine at the neck.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:30 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• the nerves that run down into your hand exit the spine at the neck. if you have poor posture or are sleeping incorrectly, you can easily inhibit those nerves. a chiropractor can help. surgery is not needed. a proper pillow for sleeping can help, as can checking an ergonomic website for posture tips. do you spend a lot of time at a desk? driving? on a computer? do you work with your hands?
    i have these issues when i breastfeed at night. i get adjusted weekly.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 8:56 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I would guess carpel tunnel, a pinched nerve or could be a sign of diabetes. I would hope just a pinched nerve! sounds like carpel tunnel however, sorry. I would talk to your doctor about it and see what they suggest
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 9:03 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• nottice theat everything is at right angles, the ankle, the knee, the elbow. see how the head is straight? i would ask around and try to find a good chiropractor.

happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:38 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• good luck!!!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:47 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• thanks everyone for the input so far. basically i am hearing i need to stop procrastinating and make that appointment today for later this week and get this checked out.

Satiblue

Comment by Satiblue (original poster) at 7:37 AM on Feb. 28, 2011