How do i raise a boy to be a man without his daddy?

My son is almost 2 and his dads been gone for 5 months now. He loves trucks and loves men stuff. Also he loves to hang out with the guys, he will eye a guy wearing a baseball cap up and down. I don't have male friends and my brother, and dad don't spend time with us. I feel like he got something before from his dads presence and now hes missing it, and i'm expecting another boy in May

telina99

Asked by telina99 at 5:49 AM on Feb. 28, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Could you maybe arrange something with Big Brothers in your area to have him be able to spend time with a male role model?
    Satiblue

Answer by Satiblue at 6:03 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I raised my son alone from the time he was born until he was almost 6, i think he will be ok, but maybe if you go to church maybe someone within the church can take a hr here and there to spend some time with him. Or maybe even a teenage boy. Good luck to you.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 6:07 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• thanks i do go to church, i will try to be more involved
    telina99

Comment by telina99 (original poster) at 6:45 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I raised my sons alone for almost eight years I taught them to throw balls and to do that stuff. Even though their dad has been in their life for the past ten years I am the only one really raising them. They have positive male role models and my guidance. It can happen.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 6:46 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• My husband left when my son was 19 months. When he was old enough, we joined Cub Scouts and Little League. There were things he got into that I wasn't happy about, like skateboarding....but he's 20 now and he's a wonderful guy. You just try to give him good values, "screen" his friends and friend's parents and guide him the best way you can. HUGS to you all.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 7:05 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I raised two of my boys without their dad around. I have no siblings so it was just me. My step dad did help some and would do things with them on weekends. Where is your sons grandpa? Would he maybe do something every so often with him? In any case my boys turned out just fine. They do laugh some times because they dont know anything about football for instance, and when people ask how they dont they say because my mom was my mom and dad and well shes a chick LOL.

Answer by gemgem at 7:45 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Teach him what a real man is to you, there is no need for male influence to become a good man.

Answer by older at 8:11 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Big Brothers, sports and activities, movies and books with good male role models and the most important thing- YOU- show him what it means to be a good person and the rest will fall into place ;)
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 10:38 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• thanks everyone
    telina99

Comment by telina99 (original poster) at 4:55 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• You can find positive male influences all over, like others have recomended. Until then, you may just have to fake interest in monster trucks and baseball. :)
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 8:34 PM on Feb. 28, 2011