Struggling to find my faith

I have always had spirituality, but have long turned from allowing God and Christ truly in to my life. Events have occurred recently that have brought it very clearly to me that without God in my life, I would not have the life I have and would have lost it already. And yet i still struggle to "submit" to Him. Sometimes I feel like it is fear holding me back, that I could simply not be a good Christian and therefore I would be a failure to God. If that makes sense. I feel like i am an all or nothing type person. and very passionate about things. I feel like I might lose myself to.....yet I know that also in losing I am also gaining. I am so very confused. I guess this is more a comment than a question. but does anyone have some advice.

Satiblue

Asked by Satiblue at 6:23 AM on Feb. 28, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Satiblue, If it were me having these momentous questions, I would go and talk to a minister. A priest or theologian or apologist, who could direct you to some study or reading that would specifically address your questions or faith issues.  These are awfully weighty issues that you are dealing with.  If your stomach were hurting you'd see a doctor, since it's your soul that's ailing, see a pro.

Good luck, you will be in my thoughts

adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 8:09 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• my advice to you is to pray and ask God to give you faith. you'll have a little voice inside of you that will tell you there's no use, God's left you, you've already strayed away so far there's no turning back, you might as well keep going the direction you're heading. that's where you turn to the Bible and remind that inner voice (whom, btw, is the devil) that:

Hebrews 13:5b for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee

Remember learning the bible is your sword? that's what this means. when you have those whispers in your ear that it's not worth going back, or anything contrary to what the Bible says, (the sword slashing towards you) you are to rebuke it in Jesus Name and quote scripture back to that "voice". (you intercept that sword with your own) make sense?

The devil will use whatever is your weakest point, and what you've said makes me think he's using the spirit of fear on you. read the scriptures
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 6:48 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• and use your sword against that voice, that spirit of fear that's on you. say (whichever scripture you find and use) out loud, also make sure you memorize it so you can constantly remind yourself, because the devil will try and try again, and next time it may not be the spirit of fear, it coud be the spirit of doubt, or something else, so you need to constantly read the scriptures so when a "trap" , or "snare"does come your way, you're ready for it and can use your sword. remember:

Isaiah 54:17a No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper;
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 6:53 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• that reminds me of the story of Peter that denied Christ 3 times, but if you remember correctly, Christ forgave him :)
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 6:55 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I'm kinda in the same boat..... But I just remember God is Faithful, God is always there. Lately, I have wondered where my faith is I used to be in church every chance I got. I used to be "on fire" for God. I let thing of the world get in the way. I find myself questioning God because it seems that my life gets worse instead of better then I remember it isn't God testing me but instead allowing me to be tested. So, far I'm failing the test. I pray often but, I don't actually go to church or serve God. I want to but sometimes its hard to believe when there is so many problems in your life. Just hang in there and PRAY God will answer
    diamondsky

Answer by diamondsky at 8:09 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I honestly can't answer or help here because I was the same way. I don't believe in Christianity or anything of the sort. My faith is my own and while I am very spiritual, I keep to myself
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 6:31 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Thank you Armywire43. , and thank you also jujubean for sharing. For me I know that in all the years i have proudly proclaimed I was NOT Christian it was because I felt Him calling me back home, but have been too proud and too steeped in enjoying my sins to go back. I would gladly stay no religion if I felt that was the truth for me in my spirituality. But i can no longer deny my real reasons.
    Satiblue

Comment by Satiblue (original poster) at 6:52 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• yes actually I do. I used to be very active In my faith in Christ and God. Of course I am speaking of almost 18 years ago. But somehow much of that stayed with me. And I have made it a habit to read some of the bible though usually for the wrong reasons. To use against someone in a debate or discussion. sigh
    Satiblue

Comment by Satiblue (original poster) at 6:56 AM on Feb. 28, 2011