Do your kids watch what YOU watched at their age?

i tried getting my kids to watch rugrats yesterday. i was a disappointment when they didn't want it...i played it anyway to see if they'd get into it. my 2yr old did, my almost 4yr old whined the whole time. while watching it i couldn't believe the bad quality it was...after watching the "new" stuff the old stuff looks terrible lol

my friends kid sometimes watches the boomerang channel, i'm not sure which shows he actually watches though. we currently don't have cable due to being in a financial rut, so i can't try that :(

do your kids watch (and like) what you used to watch?

armywife43

Asked by armywife43 at 6:36 AM on Feb. 28, 2011 in General Parenting

• My daughter (5) LOVES Land Before Time which was one of my favorite movies as a child. I haven't really shown her much of the TV that was popular when I was younger, but she watches all the movies that I enjoyed, mostly Disney but also Brave Little Toaster and some others with equally terrible animation.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 7:24 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• No mine really dont and never have. The only things they do watch that I did might be some older disney movies. I never really watched much TV growing up though either so that could be why.

Answer by gemgem at 7:47 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Land Before Time was an all time favorite of mine and a favorite of my kids also.  Scooby Doo was something I watched and my kids love that show also.  That's as far as it goes, lol.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 7:56 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• They like scooby doo... they will watch sesame street. I didn't really watch TV till I was like 5 of course (well, I watched my parents' choices, but you understand)... nowadays at 5 you are too old for sesame street, and then you were just starting to watch.
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 8:15 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• My 4 year old son loves watching Ghostbusters, which me and Dh both watched. He also like alot of the old Disney movies from when I was younger.
    Lobelia

Answer by Lobelia at 8:40 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Occasionally. My almost 5yo has been watching Tom and Jerry lately but I noticed most of the episodes aren't from the old days (which were even "old" when I was watching them in the 80s). They also like Scooby-Doo. Now that Rugrats comes on in the morning again my 4yo doesn't really like it. My older kids watched it when they were little but she doesn't care for it. I tried getting the kids to watch some of the stuff I really liked as a kid (Smurfs from when I was really little and stuff like Ducktales and Gummi Bears from when I was older) and they don't get the shows, lol.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:34 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• speaking of Smurfs, it's coming out in 3D lol
    armywife43

Comment by armywife43 (original poster) at 11:51 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• It depends on what show we're talking about. My kids LOVE Loony Toons. IN fact, we have a several DVD sets of Bugs and friends to satisfy their desire for it. :) They also like Scooby and Tom and Jerry. At 3-4 years old, my favorite show was Casper. My DD watches the newer episodes when they're on because "That was your favorite mom!" I still like Little House on the Prairie - they can do without. I LOVED the Muppets - my 2 can watch the movies or maybe one skit before it's old news. LOL! They do like Yogi care of the recent movie - not so much the old cartoons though. My 8 year old liked the original Karate Kid - but some of the 80s stuff threw him for a loop. He prefers the newer version. He won't even bother with Ghostbusters though. ;)
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:55 AM on Feb. 28, 2011