What shouldnt i eat during my pregnancy?

im almost 7weeks and i havent had my first doctors appointment yet. just a confirmation ultrasound to confirm pregnancy which was done by the clinic. so what should and shouldnt i eat or drink? whats normal in pregnancy and what should i expect?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:44 AM on Feb. 28, 2011 in Pregnancy

• All OBs will tell you different things. I was supposed to "limit" caffeine intake, avoid sushi. Drink lots of water, take vitamins, and just try to make overall healthy choices.
    DMac08

Answer by DMac08 at 6:51 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Limit the caffeine. I all but cut the caffeine completely out of my diet while I was pregnant.
    No more than 3-6 ounces of albacore tuna per week.

There's lots of other recommendations, but your ob-gyn should have a list available in his/her office.

Congrats on the pregnancy!! :-)
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 7:14 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• not only tuna, but seafood. talk about a disappointment when i was preggo. i'm in love with shrimp, i could eat like a pound of it lol. i tend to stay away from for that reason, but if you put it in front of me, it's gone lol.

i didn't cut my caffiene, but it's best for you to do that. i was a 1 pepsi per dayer lol. it didn't help my church has a soda machine, and i'm there 3 times a week....

but yeah ask your OB they'd help more. GL and congrats!
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 7:26 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• agree with what the others have said, limit caffeine & seafood intake. also just remember that whatever you eat, is going to your baby. so try to eat lots of fruits & veggies, and less fried foods/sweets, since there is very little nutritional value there. of course, do not totally deprive yourself of yummy stuff, just do it in moderation :)
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:28 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I've also heard not to eat deli meats.  Bologna, ham, etc.  If you do, cook it first.  Salmonella? I think that was the reasoning.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 8:58 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Lots of real nutrition. veggies. fruits. lean protein.
    Try to stay away from fastfood or junk food as much as possible. When your pregnant you get hungry easily & often.. and junk vs good food will make the difference in gaining 30lbs or 80lbs.. it will also help with your energy level. lots of water will help too!
    If you can go rent/buy the book Dr. OZ YOU: having a baby.. very good! :)

oh ya.. lunch meat.. bad!
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 9:01 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• yeah there are lists of dos and don'ts if you do a quick google on the topic. Unpasterized stuff is off limits, certain sushi types (depends on your sushi place really), certain fishes, deli meats (I still eat them sorry), on and on... main thing is to focus on getting your servings of each group.. so more veggies for most people and only 300 extra calories for baby.
    Camilletnt

Answer by Camilletnt at 9:01 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• deli meats too, and Bri cheese. limit seafood, and any other uncooked food. limit caffeine, but it's okay to have a soda a day (not 3 or 5!). get plenty of protein and calcium. yogurt is great for you. fried or fast foods may cause more heartburn and tummy upset. prenatal vitamin. and avoid any herbal teas or supplements. also, limit ginger (it has been linked to miscarriages)-a little a week is okay, but some cultures use a lot, you don't want to do that. cinnamon is good for you (like a tsp or two a week-mix with some butter on toast, it's good). cinnamon has a very high quality of antioxidants.

boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 9:37 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Here are my rules: No alcohol before the last trimester. No raw meat. There are plenty more "rules" out there, but those are the only two I pay much attention to.
    fancyjane

Answer by fancyjane at 11:16 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• stay way from alot of fired foods its bad for u and the baby but u can eat it just not lots all the time
    Ashley2810

Answer by Ashley2810 at 11:51 AM on Feb. 28, 2011