My son WONT eat veggies!!

my son is going to be 11 months ..we have him on table food now..however i CANT get him to eat any veggies. he just spits them out!! Correction he will eat carrots if they are with Campbell soup, but thats not much nutrition!
He has a milk protien intolerance so i have yet to try anything with milk in it(so i cant hide them in an omelette or anything)

any good ideas for veggies?!

dmdemes

Asked by dmdemes at 7:41 AM on Feb. 28, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Just keep offering them along with other nutritious foods. Don't make it a battle of any kind. He will get there.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:43 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• uh oh. good thing you're working on this early...my 3yr old hates everything but chicken nuggets, fish sticks, hot dogs and pizza. and even then he has to be in the "mood" for it . you can hide veggies in anything. we have a pizza night once a week. we make our own pizza, and i chop up one veggie a week VERY finely and hide it in there. find his favorite food and hide the veggie in there. can't finely dice veggies yourself? i went to a pampered chef party and ordered this food chopper, it works wonders, you can chop it as thick or finely as you want. i'm not sure if you can find it anywhere else, someone else might though. GL!

armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 7:47 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• children's taste buds change all the time, just like adults change over time too. so right now he might not care for them, but keep trying. I used to mix some sweet potatoes or carrots in with green veggies to be more appealing to my son at that age.
    Satiblue

Answer by Satiblue at 7:47 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I never made an issue out of it. I found the more of an issue I made the more they said no, just for the sake of saying no. Instead I would make a nutritious meal with a side of veggies and tell them they had to atleast take one bite. Kids change their minds about foods over time. My oldest is almost 22 with 2 kids now and she eats alot of things she never did as a kid, She used to hate tomatoes and now she loves them. My 17 yr old wouldnt touch any veggies and now hes a weight lifter and going to college to be a nutritionist. Just keep offering to him and raise him knowing why its good for him. Eventually he will figure it out.

Answer by gemgem at 7:50 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• This really doesn't mean he is not going to like them for good. It's just a stage. Find healthy things he does like and let him eat them. You can always put baby food veggies into tomato sauce.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:52 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• gemgem is right, i do that as well. although he doesn't eat it, i still offer it to him, and trying to get him to eat one bite is like trying to get a cat to eat a bone lol, so that's why we do pizza night, to insure he eats at least one veggie a week. we also buy V8 Fusion :)
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 7:56 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• One thing that worked with my kids was letting them "dip" their veggies - in ketchup, ranch, melted cheese, etc. For some reason it made it fun. We also came up with cool names for veggies - broccoli is dinosaur trees (not sure why, it's just what my oldest called them) so it made it more interesting for them. Also - make sure he sees you eating, and enjoying them!

Answer by missanc at 8:56 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Keep offering them is key... even if he wont eat them. My son HATED carrots... he would even shiver all over if he ate one.... but now it's one of his favorite vegetables to eat.
    With my son we had to work up from familiar flavors... like he loves sweet potatoes which we sometimes put brown sugar on... well carrots also are good with some brown sugar... so give that a shot! Diced avocado and banana are good together. My son loves broccoli and cauliflower with cheese sauce. Corn on the cob is a hit vs just regular kernel corn. And beans are a big hit as well... like kidney beans.

I also hide veges like corn or cauliflower in mac and cheese. We put veges in pasta sauce. You can hide them in pizza. You could shred things like carrot and add it into meat loaf.

We also call veges by different names... broccoli = trees, cauliflower = snowy trees, peas = balls
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:19 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• IMO, this isn't a huge deal. Until 12 mos, formula is the main source of nutrition. After that, offer well balanced meals (toddler size, look it up, because it's probably less then you think it is) and he'll eat what he eats. Don't stress over it, some kids are picky, some eat everything in sight. And they all change at some point.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:04 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• One thing you could do is wait until he's good and hungry and then offer him the veggies. I don't mean starve him of course but when he's real hungry he's more likely to eat the veggies. That's what I do with my son. He's not crazy about things like green beans but I offer them to him first and then he can have his bottle after...just an idea you could try it out.
    walkintherain

Answer by walkintherain at 3:17 PM on Feb. 28, 2011