Name or title??

Do you think that God has a name? I think of the word God as a title. Like satan in the bible is refured to as a god. 2cor;4:4. And there are tons of differnt gods. So shouldnt Gods name still be in the bible..Not his title?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:00 PM on Nov. 20, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• God is a title, like Jesus Christ- Christ is his Title. I dont think they ever put a name to God in the Bible. I could be mistaken, I havent read the whole thing. So if someone knows different I too would like to know.....
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 3:06 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Psalms 83:18 in my king James says Jehovah. And I came across a bible at a yard sale thats a American standard from the early 1900's that has Jehovah all over in it...So who gave anyone the right to take out Gods name? He's got to be furious. We have to know his name to know him. Just as with us and anyone we meet. We wouldn't call them by their title such as hey there bus driver..You know what I am saying?

Anonymous

• i wouldn't have to know his name to know him. i know him through my heart and soul. it's what he brings into my life and offers his blessing to me. if a hereo rescued you but never got his or her name would that make that person less of a hereo. whose to say his name is not god? if it isn't does not mean you don't really know him like anon said. i don't think so. regardless of his name in my house we serve him.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 3:46 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• God has many names.. some are Elohim; El Shaddai, Jehovah-Jireh, Jehovah-Nissi, Adonai, Jehovah-Rophe, El Elyon and more. Each of these names having a meaning.. such as Jehovah-Jireh means God is my provider.

If you want to know all of the names and each meaning... google "the names of God".

Also, many names doesn't mean many Gods.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 4:07 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• God has TONS of names in the Bible. You just need to go searching for them. And like Bonn777 said ~ google names of God and Whamo! =)

My personal favorite name of God is Abba Father. Even if my earthly father disappoints or fails me, my heavenly father is always there.
    lifeofchaois

Answer by lifeofchaois at 5:32 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Yes. God has many names. Just like we as moms have many names...some people may call us mom or sister, or miss, mrs., ms. etc. and just like God's names our names all mean something different for each person. I've always been taught to pray using God's name for what you are needing at that time. For instance, if you are praying for healing call on Jehovah-Rophe, etc.
    T.C.38

Answer by T.C.38 at 5:32 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• God, Devil, Christ... Are titles...

Jehovah GOD
    Satan the DEVIL
    Jesus Christ...

But that doesn't mean that you can't call them by there title... Mom is your title... And I bet you answer to it... Same with them.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:36 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• That's true. There's nothing that says you have to call on God by any specific name.
    T.C.38

Answer by T.C.38 at 6:54 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• yeah I agree with bonn777
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 7:48 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• It is. And you shall call him Jesus. God has many titles. Jehovah Jireh, Jehovah Nizzi, Adoni, Father, Son, Holy Ghost. Anything you do do in the name of Jesus. Just parahprasing.
    Sis.Jackson

Answer by Sis.Jackson at 8:18 PM on Nov. 20, 2008