Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it possible to claim support from my boyfriend and not let him have any contact with my baby?


Asked by dienkies22 at 8:32 AM on Feb. 28, 2011 in Pregnancy

Level 6 (131 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (4)
  • why? Sounds pretty selfish to me.. unless there are circumstances preventing him from being a good father.

    Answer by Camilletnt at 8:34 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

  • Only if you have a good reason not to allow contact.

    Answer by older at 8:33 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

  • Yes. Child support & visitation are two different issues. If there is no visitation order then you are not obligated to give him visits. However, if he goes to court to ask for visits and you dont have a good reason not to allow them you could lose custody or end up with an order you dont like so much. I would allow him to see the baby under your terms. If the baby is little then maybe a few hours once a week supervised by someone you trust. That way you can show you have made an effort to allow visits. If he doesnt show up then you can honestly show a judge it was on him.
    Not to mention, keeping your child from their father is bad for the child. End of story.

    Answer by gemgem at 8:36 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

  • It really depends on what state u live in but If he is the father then it really wouldnt be up to you, the court would have to decide if he was a fit or unfit father but if u go to court for child support they dont do the visitation at least they dont in Tn where i live. If u were never married to the childs father then u have full custody of the child until the father goes to court to get visitation/custody. I am going through this right now. My DD's bio dad doesnt see her, he is on drugs, been in jail 3 times last year and doesnt have a job/car or place to live. He tells me all the time he wants to see her and I say NO and even tho he signed the birth certificate my lawyer says that a child born out of wedlock is in full custody of the mother until the father does a DNA test, files for a parenting plan in court and files for visitation. Good luck.

    I would call a lawyer and see if you can get a free consultation.

    Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 8:40 AM on Feb. 28, 2011