Does everyone else's 10 year old have an attitude problem???

I feel as though my 10 year old is already entering his pre-teen attitude stage! Don't get me wrong, he is usually a great kid but he gets an attitude randomly from time to time and it seems to be getting worse. It is mainly about his little sister and jealousy issues. I think it comes from the fact that his father is not a part of his life (I had him as a teenager) and my daughter's father (my ex-husband) is. I had to ground him this morning for being just plain mean to me and I have all these guilty feelings now. When he doesn't have a tude, he's fun and loving and just plain hilarious but when he does have it he's grouchy and rude to everyone. Any advice? I'm a single mom and it's hard for me especially with him because his father is out of the picture.

CandiceKat

Asked by CandiceKat at 9:15 AM on Feb. 28, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• Welcome to hormones. Give him some space and prepare for puberty.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:18 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Mine is getting that way. He turns 10 in May
    We get the "Yah!!!" to answers and "sigh,nooooo!"
    I figure its puberty already. Yay.......

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:21 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Hes acting like a Tween. It is normal. Most of this isnt hormones quite yet but more of attitude he is picking up both at school but in public, off TV and such. Other kids might have some attitude at their homes or say they do this or that so he thinks its alright to do. Sibling rivalry also kicks into high gear at this age. I remember mine all went through it, and they dont outgrow it completely. I still hear how I treat one better over the other. Funny thing is I get complaints like dd #1 says I treat son #2 better then her. Son #1 says I treat dd #5 better then dd #1 and so on.
    Try and spend one on one time with him when you can. Let him know what is ok and what isnt. I told mine how you treat your friends isnt how I am going to be treated. Save the attitude for someone else.

Answer by gemgem at 9:23 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• This sounds exactly like my DD, but she's only 8! Sometimes I swear she acts like she is 16! I get so tired of having to get on to her for her disrespect and for being so mean. It's like it never ends! Consistency is the key, though, and I must admit, she is improving slowly but surely. I also notice that it's a bit better when we can spend more one on one time with her, but that's not always feasible with 4 kids in the house. I try, though!
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 9:27 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• yes it get it from a 8 year old and 10 year old.
    WildCat73

Answer by WildCat73 at 9:57 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Every child from birth to death has an attitude problem!
    It's just comes in different ways and shows in different ways.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:13 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• It's the hormones. Don't kill him. Just continue being firm and consistent.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 12:26 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• My 10 year old is like this. when he has an attitude, I take things away and I keep them until it changes. When he argues I do the same. It took time to figure out what would work though.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 3:58 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Yep right around that age is when it starts, they are starting to reach for independence, and are influenced by a number of things. Patience is key now, remember to pick the battles, don't engage in the argument, and figure out what kind of discipline is going to work best.
    When my kids argue I tell them I'm not arguing and I'll talk to them when they can be an adult about it (yes even at 10 they have the ability to not argue) and I walk away. I simply don't engage.
    For my boys taking away freedom works, no friends, no going out...its the only thing that works. I can take away material things but they really don't care.
    Talk - ask him why he's so upset about whatever it is. Tell him you don't like being talked to that way; you can't make things better if he continues to argue, you need to talk through it. Tell him the things he says do hurt you, be honest about it. That's what changed my 15yr old's attitude.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 12:53 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Yup sounds normal! I have a 10 yr old girl, she has attitude, shes lazy, and is just plain rude sometimes! I understand the puberty thing changes them, but they still need to have respect. Let him know that you know what hes going through, but no reason to be rude and if he doesn't get it, then ground him. Not to harsh a grounding but just enough to prove your point.
    2flowers1m

Answer by 2flowers1m at 9:20 AM on Mar. 2, 2011