Internet and relationships

has anyone ever had problems in thier relationships because of a website like facebook? I heard that some websites have broken up alot of marriages.

jenn4443

Asked by jenn4443 at 9:22 AM on Feb. 28, 2011 in Relationships

• yes....have talked about it but my husband doesnt think its wrong but we have more issues than just those type of sites
    Heather0583

Answer by Heather0583 at 4:28 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• websites don't break up marriages. people do and their bad choices. technology is a tool. its all how people use it. if couples are healthy, not lying to each other, not seeking out improper relationships or looking for "the one that got away" just to find out what happened..... its all in how people use the technology.
    Satiblue

Answer by Satiblue at 9:28 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• No. I agree with Satiblue- the internet doesn't break people up, the people in the relationships do! If people wouldn't lie to their SO about HOW they are using the internet and specific websites, there would be a lot less conflict!
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 9:30 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• No - my husband and I were both on myspace when we were dating and have now been on facebook for years. We don't do anything online we wouldn't do in person, and we don't hide our accounts from one another. No problems.

Answer by missanc at 9:47 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• No but i had added an ex and as long as your truthful then your marriage should be fine. Don't be starting any sexual conversations on chat either, i bet that has a lot to do with all the emails people get from others and never realize that your spouse is looking right over your shoulder when you have nothing else to do but open it in front of them.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 9:36 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Only if the person is using it to cheat or what have you. I know there are some people out there that use the internet and those sites to reach out to the opposite sex and flirt and carry on.

Answer by gemgem at 9:38 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I think that even when a couple is doing the right thing on the internet, soliciters can make it seem otherwise.  We each had a myspace page and both of us got "spam" from the oposite sex.  They would really make it sound like they knew us or something!  We both knew that the other was telling the truth so no it didn't cause a problem in our relationship and when we got the same message from 2 different people on both accounts, it confirmed that it was nothing more than spam.  I can see where it could have been devastating to someone who didn't know about the spammers.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 9:38 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• A website cannot be held accountable for the individual actions of a person. If someon uses Facebook, myspace, or a dating website to cheat on their spouse or otherwise ingage in improper activity it isn't because of those sites. It is the fault of the individual. If that person is so inclined to cheat or otherwise ingage in an inappropriate manner then they're going to do it with or without facebook (etc). Video games, music, violent movies, social networking or dating websites aren't the problem. The problem is the individual and what they do with these things or what they allow them to become for them. Anything can be created that can be used as a tool or an idea, but it's not the fault of the said tool it's the fault of the individual who utilizes it against or in line with it's intended nature.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:12 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• my husband and i deleted our facebooks and myspaces like a year ago because it was causing issues. : /
    xLeeAnnex

Answer by xLeeAnnex at 1:28 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I have never had an issue but it happens where people use facebook and myspace to pick up the opposite sex then come to find out they were in a relationship to begin with. you don't need the internet to cheat if you are going to the internet just makes it easier to.

I have a close friend that meets dudes on myspace then travels to where they are to be with them and many times they end up having a s/o already.
    diamondsky

Answer by diamondsky at 9:50 AM on Feb. 28, 2011