To switch... or not... THAT is the question...

We moved this past summer (cross country) and the school system/environment is very different in every aspect!! We came from a very religious community where my son attended a small country school (less than 300 kids- k-6th) to one that is k-5 and over 800 kids. The expectations are greater now and the communication with teachers is less and difficult. My son has gone from an average of b's... to mostly d's, c's and a couple f's and the kicker is I never heard a thing from the teachers until I got the report card!! He is very capable of the work but has an attention problem that his previous school tested and adapted a learning plan for him. His new school dropped him after "re evaluating" him- (he was ONE point from qualifying). There is still half a year for him to turn things around but I do not see this happening where he is. I have had meetings with school staff and I am sick of fighting with them- short of me sitting in his class all day. The prinipal sucks so I don't think a teacher switch would be a good idea.
Am I over reacting? Or not doing enough?  Should I switch schools?

SCMomKatie

Asked by SCMomKatie at 9:25 AM on Feb. 28, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• I went into the same sort of situation. My kids were in a small school of maybe 200 kids to one with tons and tons more. My son was in kinder at the time and I was never told much of anything either and the teacher sucked. I complained to the principle and she did nothing. I got lucky enough to get a meeting with her and the teacher and the teacher showed her butt, but it wasnt until then they took me seriously. Since then I have learned what works. I go plant my butt at the main office and ask to speak to the super intendant of their school. I write formal letters of complaint as well, these go on their records. Sometimes you need to stir things up and make them know you mean business.

Answer by gemgem at 9:30 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• You have issues here on several levels. Another move is likely to do more harm than good. Classes begin to 'gel' in the first two days of class. Anyone who comes in after that is "the new kid" That can be quite difficult. Your son is at an age where hormones are beginning to make themselves known. Onset of puberty often accompanies grade dives. Add to the mix a recent cross country move and that is a lot of adjusting to do. Have you addressed the attention problems with a Dr? Have you attempted dietary changes? Meds Behavioral therapy? He is your son you have to keep plugging away. Dealing with school districtsis often an exercise in futility. Just remember you catch more flys with honey than vinegar.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:34 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• You are not over-reacting. Unfortunately in as school that large, you have to be the loud, obnoxious, squeaky wheel. But if you can get him into a smaller school, go for it.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:39 AM on Feb. 28, 2011