How much time?

do you allow your children to watch TV? play on the computer? play video games? just wondering

Christmaslver68

Asked by Christmaslver68 at 9:39 AM on Feb. 28, 2011 in General Parenting

• On weekdays the average is about 1 hour a day on 'screens'. Weekends varies, just depends on what were doing.
    choco_mom

Answer by choco_mom at 3:10 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• my daughter is 2 years old and the tv is on cartoons from 8 am to 8 pm, but 95% of the time she is in her room playing with her toys
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:41 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• my son generally watches one full movie on Friday, sat, and Sunday. that is about all he watches all week. He is 7.
    Satiblue

Answer by Satiblue at 9:41 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Yes to all. Tv is just noise in the house, not really watching it. Games on the computer and videos are educational but I don't use them as her only educational tool. These things are nice when there is something that I need to get done and need her to be occupied for a brief period of time.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:42 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• My 9, 11, and 13 year olds are allowed an hour/day of screen time - that includes video games, tv shows, movies, etc. My 2 yo I don't monitor that closely but I try to make sure he's active throughout the day.

Answer by missanc at 9:44 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Mine are allowed to do it all. None of them abuse it though. They are kept very busy with other activities after school so they dont have much time to do any of it. For instance my 6 yr old is in cheer, dance, gymnastics and softball. She goes to school, comes home for a snack and around 1 hr of TV, then off to do her activity for the day. Home for dinner, homework, bath, reading & bed. If we have any time or a day when she isnt busy she can use her laptop, or watch TV. She isnt into video games.

Answer by gemgem at 9:45 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• TV doesn't get turned on on weeknights unless there's nothing else to do and homework is all finished. Our 3 are gone all day at school and when they get home it's homework time, and then they are all usually heading outside to play. They maybe watch 2 hours of TV Mon- Thurs. On weekends they have to have their chores done and homework finished before they can play the wii, playstation, or movies. That's limited as well because we feel playing outside or in their rooms is a better option than sitting in front of the TV. We only have one TV in the house so they don't go off in their rooms and hide out in front of the TV.
    As for the computer, our desktop is in a central area in our home so if they're on it we can see it. It's a 19" screen so there isn't anything I can't see at any given time. They are allowed 30 minute sessions so their brothers can have time on it as well. They set the timer so they know when to stop.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:53 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• My kids are allowed to watch TV, they will be allowd to play video games, and when they're old enough they'll be allowed on the computer. Video games and computer games will have time limits, but right now TV time doesn't have any limits. As they get older it will start having time limits though, so they're not sitting in front of it all day. My older two have shown they don't need it on 24/7 to be entertained, though my oldest perfers the background noise. So if they show that it's becoming an issue and helping them avoid other acitivities it'll be cut down.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:59 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• she is three and same for me the tv is always on some childrens show. she watches and bit and than she will get interested in helping me clean. so she will dust for me and help me vacume. she loves helping fold the laundry. lol when she helps it takes like half an hour to gold one basket
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 10:02 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• as some of the others have said, the tv is generally on for the better part of the day. its rarely watched though, its just noise most of the time. they will glue themselves to dora and spongebob, everything else they catch bits & pieces of here and there. they are usually playing with toys or with eachother. my 4 year old loves playing educational computer games and honestly i could care less how long she stays on, since she is learning. but typically she spends at most an hour at a time on it.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:09 AM on Feb. 28, 2011