6 month old still not sleeping through the night

Am I doing something wrong?? I am breast feeding and I know that makes a difference but he still wakes up every 2-3 hours. He nurses and falls right back asleep but I just can't help but feel bad when I hearother mom's say how their babies are sleeping through the night and mine isn't even close.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:49 AM on Feb. 28, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• There are some children who don't sleep through the night well into their toddler years. Every child is different. It might be wise to talk to his doctor about starting pureed foods, because getting that extra substance in him might help him sleep through. If you don't want to start on pureed foods that's okay, but it's a thought if you're looking for more sleep. You're not doing anything wrong, he just is comforted by breastfeeding and that closeness with you.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:54 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• It's common. My children could self soothe at that age. My son had a paci and my daughter sucked her finger. Do you put him to sleep when he's awake or do you rock him to sleep? Some babies need to learn to fall asleep on their own. I've heard doctors say that when babies always fall asleep in their momma's arms, they tend to get agitated when they wake up at night and they are in their beds. Everybody has times at night when we ''wake" up, babies are no different. Best of luck
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:55 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I'm no help... my 6 month old sleeps for 4 hours so I want to hear the answers you get!
    EverydayMomma

Answer by EverydayMomma at 9:56 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• my oldest didnt sleep through the night til 16 months, so dont beat yourself up. some babies take a longtime to reach this milestone (and yes, sleeping through the night is a milestone) and those moms you are referring to simply got lucky. its more common for babies to not sleep through the night til much closer to their first birthday.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:56 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Not all babies sleep through the night at the same times. Mine all spent through the night starting around 3 mos. My sister's 2 children were 9 mos. before they slept through the night.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:57 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• My dd is the same way, wakes up every couple hours, it's normal.
    MummoloMom2010

Answer by MummoloMom2010 at 9:59 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• LOL TNM, I was one of those lucky moms. My kids were both 10-12 hour sleepers by the time they were 3 months lol. DAMN lucky
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:59 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• my mil used to love to make me feel like shit about this. my middle child slept 10-12 hours til she was 3 months and then like a lightswitch she woke up 2-3 times a night til she was 7 or 8 months. then my youngest didnt sleep thru the night til closer to 3-4 months. both times she'd throw in my face "chris and sam (DH and SIL) both slept through the night from birth, how strange, you are probably doing this or that wrong" ugh.. i wanted to be like, fuck off, im sleep deprived. LOL
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:01 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• every baby is different, and honestly, once i beging talking to moms, i find that their conception of sleeping through the night is an average of 5-6 hours. breastfeed babies shouls never go more than 8 hours through the night without eating. But if you want to try to lenghten nightitme feedings to 4-6 hours, try two things 1) feed more frequently during the day and 2) "cluster feed" at night before bedtime. meaning if you feed them at 7 and put them to bed, feed baby 2-3 more times before you plan to go to bed. you may not even have to wake baby. try this for a couple weeks, your little one may become a more 'efficient' eater at bedtime and you won't have to cluster feed forever. you;re not doing anything wrong:)
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 10:03 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• My oldest didn't start sleeping all night until after he was one. It will slowly start getting better and he will start sleeping longer. GL
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 10:05 AM on Feb. 28, 2011