How should i deal with my mother? (a little long. sorry)

Ok so heres the deal. My mother is horrible! She always makes me feel horrible for pretty much nothing. she is an emotional abuser; always has been. i am almost 24 and she still tries to control my life. i have a husband and 2 kids. i try to call her and she will not answer, she talks to me through text every now and then. so i texted her last night and told her happy birthday and told her i loved her. all i got back was thank you. how do i deal with her. i have tried for years to have a decent relationship with her and she is just getting worse. i am to the point where i really want nothing to do with her.

newlife627

Asked by newlife627 at 10:02 AM on Feb. 28, 2011 in Relationships

• you have tried. you have done the things u had to do to try to keep a relationship with her. if she is like you say she is just trying to hurt you with her actions of not answering you calls or texts. i would let her be and concentrate on your family
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 10:07 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Theres nothing you can do about it. She is a grown woman just like you are. My mom is alot like that as well and is always starting drama because she lies about things so often. When she gets caught she says she doesnt want to talk to me lol like its my fault she lied. I just decided to distance myself from her a long time ago. I didnt even have a relationship with her until my grandma died because of it. The only reason I try is my grandma asked me on her death bed to try. If I were you I would stop calling, stop texting, stop reaching out. Either she will call herself or she wont. If she calls you tell her well you never really seemed interested sooooo.......

Answer by gemgem at 10:08 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Continue to reach out. Why not text her and ask to take her out for dinner for her birthday. This will give you an opportunity to talk. Your text was short and to the point as well. You may both be feeding on each other and blowing it out of proportion.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:09 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• keep her at a distance, you dont have to allow her issues to affect your life. you know its not you, its her. sometimes you have to do that tough love thing even with a parent.
    Satiblue

Answer by Satiblue at 10:09 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• What did you want her to say? I would have said the same thing.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:12 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• i would have liked a love you too or something. and fyi that is all she says to me on my birthday
    newlife627

Comment by newlife627 (original poster) at 10:26 AM on Feb. 28, 2011