Can you find out who claimed you in their tax return?

There's a bunch of annoying drama in the household. My SO claimed our DD in his taxes. My parents tried to claim me. But it seems that someone else is using my SSN. Now my mom is calling my future husband a liar. Even though I've already asked him twice if he had to use my SSN for any reason in his taxes (to which he told me "no"). He is an honest man. So i believe him. I feel my mom is out of line for that.

And she's telling me (in a threatening way) that she's going to make some calls to find out if someone is using my SSN illegally. She keeps threatening "if i find it was him.. blah blah blah he's liar". Now, while i am concerned that someone has just stolen my identity, and that all of a sudden my mom's being a total b-tch. Is there really any way you can find out WHO specifically claimed you in their tax return? Just curious. Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on Feb. 28, 2011 in Money & Work

• If she tried to claim you on her taxes and it was bumped back they would have her either claim without you, or ask the irs to look into the other party trying to claim you, and ask both to prove where you live before either could claim you. Make sense? So yes, because it is her tax return she can find out who tried to claim you. Problem is she is going to have to prove you live with her now as well.

I had this problem with my youngest son. I had custody and the order we had said I claimed him. I did and it got bumped back bc my ex was trying to claim him. He denied he was. I didnt bother to fight the irs since it didnt affect my return anyway. But I did find out who was trying to claim him.

Answer by gemgem at 10:17 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• You have to call the IRS. My SIL is going through the same thing. She went to file her taxes and it was denied, and they told her that someone claimed her on their taxes.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 10:17 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• ok my head hurts. how can your parents have even tried to claim you , are you a minor? do you live with them ? and yes, YOU can call and find out who has claimed you. though this all seems really confusing and very odd.
    Satiblue

Answer by Satiblue at 10:18 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Are you a minor? If not, then you can absolutely call the IRS and find out if someone is illegally claiming you. If you are a minor and not emancipated from your parents, then your mother or father would have to call them. A word of warning though, if you inform the IRS that you have been illegally claimed by someone else, there is a chance that they will audit anyone that has claimed you in the past.
    ShadowRaven

Answer by ShadowRaven at 10:37 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Call the IRS 1-800-829-1040 - Hours of Operation: Monday – Friday, 7:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m. your local time (Alaska & Hawaii follow Pacific Time).

Answer by rkoloms at 10:37 AM on Feb. 28, 2011