• In the Spotlight:

How do i keep my son from climbing out of his crib?

when it comes to bedtime my sons pretty good about staying in his crib but lately he will wake up at 5 am, climb out, and go play in the living room. this is my first child and i really have no idea what to do in this situation. please help!

k8mw

Asked by k8mw at 10:21 AM on Feb. 28, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You could try a crib topper (it is like a 'tent' that goes on top of the crib). When mine started climbing out of the crib that was when I moved them to a toddler bed. (I did not want them to accidentally fall from the crib when they made their 'escape'). I made sure the room was child-proofed and I put up a baby gate at the door so if they did get out of bed they could play quietly in their room and not roam around the house and get into things.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:27 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• my baby gate is too big for his doorway and i cant find one small enough. where can i find a crib topper???
    k8mw

Comment by k8mw (original poster) at 10:36 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Sounds like he's too big for his crib.

You could just close the door and put one of those door knob things on it so he can't open it.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 10:39 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• he doesnt have a door knob its a sliding door
    k8mw

Comment by k8mw (original poster) at 10:42 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• You may not want to do this yet but when they start climbing out of crib its time for a toddler bed. A toddler bed still uses a crib mattress but you can get ones with his favorite char and let him choose it.
    dlshaner

Answer by dlshaner at 10:54 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I have always had the belief if they are climbing out of a crib it is time to move them out of the crib and to a toddle bed.
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 11:25 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• moving him into a bed isnt the problem its him getting out of bed at 5 am and playing in my living room
    k8mw

Comment by k8mw (original poster) at 12:06 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I think that it's time for him to get into a bed for his safety. Gate his bedroom door so he stays in until you come get him up in the morning.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:40 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Do you have a hall where your rooms are? Maybe you can put a gate there. If there is a bath room you can keep it closed so he can't get into anything in there.

HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 5:37 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• lol-
    he's 5, isn't he old enough for a big boy bed?

I don't know how to tell you to keep him in there, I used to do the same thing.I used to climb anything and everything, parents never did figure out how to get me to stop!
    Anonymous