Anyone familiar with Texas medicaid?!?

AAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!! Ok, so apparently Texas had changed some of its benefits so that ADULTS are able to receive medicaid if you qualify for TANF. I WAS eligible for medicaid from Oct-Feb. But, NOW when I had to reapply they denied me because I make TWELVE DOLLARS AND TEN CENTS OVER THE LIMIT!!!!! Ugh, this is SO frustrating! Anyway, I take medication for bipolar etc... and even the GENERICS are anywhere from $107.00-$298.00 each month, and I have to take 3 of them. I also work mostly off tips, so it's very possible that I will not make that additional $12.10 (not like that would even put a dent in my medication cost). I know I can appeal, but I hear that it's nearly impossible to overturn the decision... anyone have any tips or help for me?? PLEASE? I'm literally scared of not being able to stay on my medication... someone please help me =(

brandy0827

Asked by brandy0827 at 10:28 AM on Feb. 28, 2011 in General Parenting

• u can recieve medicaid even if u dont get tanf as long as u meet certain restrictions. it sucks. i have 3 kids (son, daughter & nephew) and since i lost my job (and due to extreme personal health reasons i cant work right now) i only get 300 a month for child support for my son & no tanf for the others. hhs told me i get too much income to qualify (even though i had it earlier and was told this when i reapplied) its ridiculous. i hope they get things settled and u get the help u need :) i take bipoloar meds too and they put a dent in my empty pocket.
    TxPunkChk

Answer by TxPunkChk at 2:16 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• you can always get carelink!!! you'll probably have to do copays but it wont be nearly as much as you would be paying by yourself. We are currently having issues with my local office for my son's medicaid and our foodstamps. good luck!!!!
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 10:32 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Contact MHMR and see if they can help.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 11:59 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• MHMR in El Paso apparently had funding cuts and my current doctor said that MHMR's currently only taking immediate patients if you are currently and clearly an extreme danger to yourself or others, otherwise it's about a 3-6 month waiting list =(
    brandy0827

Comment by brandy0827 (original poster) at 12:51 PM on Feb. 28, 2011