Designer dogs...a do or don't?

I'm talking the breeding of two dogs to make a "cuter" dog.
labradoodle
chiweenie
puggle
etc....

Bugzmomma

Asked by Bugzmomma at 10:29 AM on Feb. 28, 2011 in Pets

• Don't, but i don't really see how they are a cuter dog, Labs are beauitful, and i think that labradoddle are ugly. Just my opinion though.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 10:31 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Breeding dogs just to make them "cuter" is terrible.

They are living things, not toys or dolls to be dressed up.

UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 10:37 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Don't. These dogs are poorly bred when they are bred just for the cute factor. Health and temperament should come before cute in any good quality breeding program. There isn't anything cute with a mixed breed that requires surgery for bad knees. Furthermore, there are enough accidents that result in mixed breeds, breeders do not need to add to that population. Visit an animal shelter and you will find plenty of cute mixed breeds.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 10:43 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I have a yorkie poo. She is cute and sweet as can be! It doesnt hurt anything its just a matter of preference.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:43 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I think that desinger dogs are fine as long as the parents are healthy and from strong lines. One of the best things about designer dogs is you get some of the best attributes of both breeds along with a longer life and fewer health issues than the pure breed parents
    mtnaspen

Answer by mtnaspen at 10:55 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• A dont for me. To me those are just mutts. I can go to the dog pound and get a cute mutt.

Answer by gemgem at 10:56 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• i'm with gemgem, a mutt is a mutt, i'd rather adopt one from the shelter than spend thousands on one
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:34 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• i go a shih tzu from the pound (he wa sin "foster care") and eh was $400. I got a yorkie poo for $450 from a breeder. We picked her for her traits and because she was tiny. My dd is training her in dog agility for 4H and she is doing great. I think the designer breeds are just a fad but it's not damaging.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:09 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Don't for me, but that's a matter of personal preference. I only have to watch the SPCA or Humane Association commercials to know there are plenty of animals in need of good homes without "creating" another breed, so that's where my choice would lie
    Jodi.Serrano

Answer by Jodi.Serrano at 12:58 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• IT's a don't. And shame on ANYONE who thinks it's okay.
    It is damaging, it's ridiculous and it's a pocket liner. The parents are never healthy, never health checked, bred over and over and, to trump all of those, all of those designer dogs can be found in shelters all over the freaking planet.

ANYONE who says it's okay, or whatever should have their head examined.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 1:20 PM on Feb. 28, 2011