has anyone heard of an 8yr old starting her period? help!! My daughter just called from the nurses office!! yikes!!

How early do girls start their periods?

ally418

Asked by ally418 at 3:10 PM on Nov. 20, 2008 in Health

• I started mine when I was 9 (4th grade) so really its not that uncommon, especially nowadays with all the growth hormones in food, girls are developing a lot faster than they used to.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 3:13 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• I have heard of it, it seems like as the years go on girls have been getting younger and younger. I have heard of some children being as young as 6 getting thiers. If I remember right I think the very very youngest age I heard was like 4 and half- don't take that too heart though because i do not a have a cite to list for it. But I have heard as young as 6.... Just talk to you daughter, and be understanding of the fact that she may be terrified right now....Good luck
    BabyBeans0506

Answer by BabyBeans0506 at 3:15 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• I agree with CarolynBarnett!
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 3:15 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• well it can happen between the ages of 7 and 18 i believe. not saying anything happen with your daughter. but usually if a girl gets it before 10 there is a possibility that she could have been sexually abused. im sure your daughter more than likely wasnt but thats what i heard.
    Anonymous

• I started mine when I was 9.
    Anonymous

• It used to be very uncommon...now that there are so many hormones in our food, water, etc girls are developing faster.

I wouldn't be too concerned about it, its just one of those things that happens.
    MommaLucy

Answer by MommaLucy at 3:17 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• i got mine when i was nine and half, id idnt get it regular at that age, that didn't happen untill i was like ten. I would just talk to her, im sure she's fine! she might be really embarassed, I was when I first got mine! >< grr, I thought it was most horrible thing in the world!
    STILL DO!! lol
    Jade0311

Answer by Jade0311 at 3:20 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Well there is a whole lot of chemicals and hormones pumped into our food!
    Anonymous

• It's tied into weight, mostly. Usually when a girl reaches 100 pounds or over she will start her period, like wise when a woman looses to under 100 pounds it will stop. The weight will trigger a shift in hormones that will cause her to have her period early. I'm facing this everyday...my daughter just hit 100 pounds a 7 (she's super tall....and about 10 pounds overweight) So we have already talked to her doc, they agree it could be anytime now that she starts...I am really regretting taking her out of soccer this season!!!
    Anonymous

• I wish a womans periods stopped if she was under 100 lbs!
    imtheonlysane1

Answer by imtheonlysane1 at 6:00 PM on Nov. 20, 2008