Gardening on post

I'm a new army wife (husband just finished basic training a month ago) and have never lived on post before. I would love to start a garden and have something to keep me busy, but I just want to know if it will be worth it to even bother. Or if it would be better to do baskets.

LeslieNBreaux

Asked by LeslieNBreaux at 10:59 AM on Feb. 28, 2011 in Home & Garden

• How long are you planning to live on post in that house? I made a little garden when we lived on base and really enjoyed it, but we ended up buying a house at the end of the summer and I had to move before my tomatoes turned red! I was bummed, but I'm sure the new people enjoyed it. If you're going to be living there for a year or two, then I wouldn't see why not.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 11:02 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I guess it just depends on how long you're going to stay at that particular location. I think it would be great if you're going to stay at least until next winter, I would. It will give you something to do until then, and then you can start planning all over. Baskets are fun too, though, and though I've been here for several years now, I don't plant much outside because of the kids in the neighborhood. They are the type that their parents don't care where they are or what they do, and when we first moved in they destroyed a bunch of rare plants and plants that I had worked VERY hard on.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 11:45 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Containers! Tomatoes work well in a large container.
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 1:44 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• You can do a lot with containers, if that would work better than digging up a spot. My SIL lives on the 25th floor of a high-rise in Chicago and does quite a bit of container gardening in pots on her balcony.
    mikesmom65270

Answer by mikesmom65270 at 11:31 PM on Feb. 28, 2011