If you met someone on facebook and she friend requested you and you accepted,

then she constantly im'd you about her problems until you couldnt get anything done but comforting her, what would you do? I do not want to hurt her feelings and I like helping others. I can barely do one thing on here without her trying to get me to solve all her problems and praise her and keep her spirits up. I suffer chronic depression and I have my own garbage to deal with. I really dont mind sometimes, but it is getting to the point I feel like she just wants someone to constantly tell her how great she is. thanks

Dianakk

Asked by Dianakk at 11:01 AM on Feb. 28, 2011 in Relationships

• I call those "pity me parties".  I've had A LOT of people do this.  I don't mind, I like to listen but constant whining will drive me absolutely insane.  I already have 3 kids, I don't need an adult adding to the endless whining I hear.  I don't think there is any cure to it.  Like something you could say to get her to stop.  I would just limit contact period.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 11:03 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• i would turn off my IM.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:02 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I'd shut down my chat for about a month so she stops looking for you on there.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 11:04 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I had someone like that and I didnt mind really, but one day I said something about my family and she turned around and made it out like I was saying something bad about her. I was floored and didnt even get how it went from something about me to all her, but really people who make everything about them shouldnt surprise anyone. I dont turn my chat off for anyone on FB. I use it to talk to other people. I do however keep it brief if I choose to talk to them at all. I will say "Sorry busy cant talk", or "Not really here catch you some other time". After a few days of that they get the hint. With the woman I was talking about I ended up defriending her and blocking her.

Answer by gemgem at 11:07 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• You can pick and choose who sees you are available for chat on facebook. I hate when random people from your past try to chat so I made a list of people that I would want to know I was available...
    ConcernedMom141

Answer by ConcernedMom141 at 1:32 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• honestly, i'd delete her.
    xLeeAnnex

Answer by xLeeAnnex at 5:02 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Thanks! I don't want to turn my im off because my daughter and I chat off and on all day. I also have "real" friends I like to talk to. I have thought about defriending her, but that seems so mean and as of right now I can't do that. My 12 yr old dashund Dobie died yesterday and I tried to tell her and she totally ignored my message and went on about her finding a man, blah blah blah. i was really hurt. I loved my little Dobie and for her to brush him off as nothing was mean. I try ignoring her sometimes, then I feel guilty and answer her. Then I am mad at myself for feeling guilty and putting up with more drama. what a circle. lol
    Dianakk

Comment by Dianakk (original poster) at 11:15 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• well, turn off your instant message on facebook, then she won't know if your on or not
    Jssg1986

Answer by Jssg1986 at 11:39 AM on Feb. 28, 2011