What are some things a 2yrold with diabetes can snack on?

My friends 2yrold son was just diagnosed with diabetes. She is having a hard hard time with adjusting to this lifestyle. As she is in her first week of this trying time and at home now. He doesn't understand why he can't have certain foods and the only thing she knows he can have is sugar free jello, which he refuses to eat. So I am just looking for someone who can give her some hints to make this adjustment easier. The things you know now that you wish you new in the beginning which would have made it easier for you. Thank you in advance for your time and help
Amy

abowling

Asked by abowling at 11:07 AM on Feb. 28, 2011 in Kids' Health

• I think your Dr. would know best what to give your child but if your child has no allergies peanut butter is good, whole grain bread, crackers, yogurt, veggies (cucumber, carrots, celery etc.), granola bars, things low in sugar.
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 3:36 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• The pediatric endocrinologist should have referred her to a certified diabetic educator who can help her plan meals and snacks. A two year old with diabetes needs to be carefully managed, and I am not qualified (though cubes of avocado and tofu are probably safe).

Answer by rkoloms at 7:08 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• She should be asking the doctor for a diet or a referral to a dietician. I know that diabetics have to watch how much banans and avacado they eat, among other foods.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:19 PM on Feb. 28, 2011