Dieting???

I am dieting and after 3 kids my abs need some attention. I hear crunches are good. How many do I need to do a day to eventually get results?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Feb. 28, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• What results are you looking for? Targeting the area will not lose belly fat. You have to diet to do that. As for muscle toning... it depends.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• The PP are right but I will add that if you do oblique exercises, it will help define your waistline and I can say it def works. Hold a weight in one hand and bend at your waist to the side and raise back up and do however many reps u want and do other side. You can use a heavier weight b/c of this muscle group. I started using 15 and within 3 weeks had moved up one at a time to 35.
    huntin_mama

Answer by huntin_mama at 11:41 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• You need to lose the fat around your midsection in order to flatten your belly, and you can't spot-lose fat. You'll need to keep at the diet portion, and add some cardio. Strength training needs to be a full body approach. Crunches will help tighten your rectus abdominal muscles, but you also need to work the other core muscles, the obliques, transverse abdominis, as well as your back muscles. Don't just focus on one set of muscles. You should be working your whole body. Planks are awesome for the core, and push ups work the core and upper body nicely. Try some balance work, as that will help strengthen your core (something like a Bosu ball is good, or an Indo board).
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:47 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I am dieting, I just need to do crunches to help flatten it after the trhee kids.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:17 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Do the crunches to exhaustion. That point is different for everyone but if you go till you can't power through one more you have hit the amount you can do. If you want to loose some fat around the area you have to do cardio. Muscle building does not remove the fat from the targeted area. Good luck!
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 11:17 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Doing crunches on a ball
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 4:31 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I think along with crunches that some core strengthening stuff like yoga and pilates are great.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:40 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Planks are MUCH better for your abs....google plank exercises.
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 8:37 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• no idea, sorry. I've heard Pilates is good
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 3:49 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• These are great ideas.
    Jerichos_Mommy

Answer by Jerichos_Mommy at 5:28 AM on Mar. 30, 2011