AM I LOOSING IT?

My 13 year old daughter is a gifted student in public school. She would never do anything to get in trouble. Today i received a phone call from school....My daughter skipped her class and when she was caught, she told the principle: " i did not feel like going to the class". What is it? Is this the way she is trying to be cool with her friends? Trying to be something she is not? I always try to be fair in my judgment, but i am not sure how to deal with something i can't explain.

vova

Asked by vova at 3:23 PM on Nov. 20, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• is there something going on in that class? is she hangin out with a new group of friends? try to sit down and talk to her if that doesn't work i would contact the teacher or the principal and try to figure it out
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 3:28 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• I think you need to talk to her about this, if she says nothing then contact the school, they may have notices other changes in her behaviour that could point you in the right direction to the reason she's doing this. And ask yourself whether her behaviour has changed recently? Or has anything happened that could have affected her behaviour lately?
    haleykarson

Answer by haleykarson at 3:34 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• my son says this and it turns out that he was having problems with student in class and didn't have the guts to be in the same room with them. so he would try to ditch. i still forced him to go but that is why he did it in the first place. maybe she is having problems with friends in that class or some enemies in that class and then have the principle talk with the teacher and try to come up with a solution that makes it seem as if your daughter didn't rat them out. like maybe have the teacher say she was the one that noticed that was going on.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 4:18 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Something is definitely going on.I would get to the bottom of it.

Alize26

Answer by Alize26 at 5:15 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• its the friends I think. I would talk to her about making wise choices when picking friends. telk her there will be consequences. take some of her stuff away and make her earn it back. stand your ground.
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 1:05 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

• I've been there so I can understand maybe her new friends get away with bad attitude at home but tell her she won't remind her that you love her too.
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 1:11 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

• i would like to thank everybody for answers. It really helped me with my conversation to her. But i still have to get to the bottom of it. She told me she doesn't like the teacher, that she doesn't teach them anything and she told me that before, but i would not think she'd skip class because of it. It's Language Arts, she love's it. Anyway, i told her to go to the counselor, see if he can switch the class.
    vova

Answer by vova at 9:21 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

• Sounds like she is bored. What kind of gifted programs are in her school?
    Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 12:50 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• the gift classes are with kids that have a high FCAT score and there program is based on 1 or to grades above. So she should be challenged enough.
    vova

Answer by vova at 3:47 PM on Nov. 21, 2008