Would fight for a friendship like this or am i wrong?

this summer i met a new friend, we had an awesome summer! They were caretakers of our townhomes and then in sept they gave up being caretakers. Ever since they gave up on being caretakers they never want to hang out or do anything. My husband and I are always inviting them over or out to do things. My son always wants to get together with their daughter because they became great friends but that rarely happens. I feel bad for him because he doesnt understand. This last weekend we tried to set something up with them 3 times and of course all were no's. Its not like we are always bugging them to do something just every once in awhile but the answer is always the same. Should i just give up or what? And how do i help my son understand?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on Feb. 28, 2011 in Relationships

• just let it go and i really dont know what to say to your son
    Jssg1986

Answer by Jssg1986 at 11:34 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• They may be waiting for you to get the message that they are being too polite to give directly. For some reason they don't want to socialize with you.

You tell your son that sometimes people change.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:34 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I would move on to greener pastures and not take it personally. People and situations change. Take your son to the park etc and he will make new friends :). Explain to your son that sometimes people change. Sometimes we just have to say "oh well", there loss. Kids are pretty tough. Keep this a positive lesson and Encourage him to make new friends and dont dwell on the past :)
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 11:40 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• You let it go and be honest with your son. They dont want to hang out. It isnt his fault or their dds choice for that matter. They said no. When you tell him no I am sure he knows thats that right? Same difference.

Answer by gemgem at 11:41 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• thanks everyone! It breaks my heart to hear everyone say let it go but i know thats what i should do. I havent had a good friendship in like 3 years and then this one came along last summer and it was awesome to have a close friend again! The hardest part is they live in the same townhouse complex we do so my son always wants to go see if she can come play. Im pretty sure it will be harder on him this summer when its nicer out (we live in mn) but hopefully he can make some new friends.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:43 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• yea that sucks. had you somehow upset them? maybe they are in cult now where they are not suppose to talk with other people other then whose in their group. i watched that on tv. how being in a cult changed their lives. i would just ask. it's not as if you'd hurt the friendship more. i would just ask if you guys upset them somehow cause you noticed that they don't want to have anything to do with you guys.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 11:52 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Just get over it and move on.
    tastymama

Answer by tastymama at 2:37 PM on Feb. 28, 2011