PLEASE recommend a great book for me to try.

I don't like violent or sexed up books or the paranormal, so this might be a tough call.

Could you tell me why you think it would be worth a go too? Thanks!

[I'm deliberately not saying what stuff I've readed and liked to date. I'm hoping your ideas can broaden my mind and tastes]

mauve

Asked by mauve at 11:32 AM on Feb. 28, 2011 in Entertainment

• To help me give you recommendations, what are some books that you have read and liked?
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 11:34 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I am currently reading Women & Money by Suze Orman.  Why?  Because I am trying to decide how to balance my money when I start a new job.  I want to be able to take full advantage of everything the company is going to offer, including 401K, etc.

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:37 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Try the Pink Carnation series by Lauren WIllig. You can review on Amazon. Its historical fiction,mwith inrigue, romance, but its not raunchy at all. more mystery then anything with strong women characters.
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 11:38 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Jeannette Walls has two books out, and they are both memoirs. Amazing! The Glass Castle and Half Broke Horses. A perfect mix of humor, sadness, Intrigue, seriously so good! And none of the sex, and other stuff you don't enjoy. Highly recommend them both!
    cailynsmommy626

Answer by cailynsmommy626 at 11:43 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I LOVE fantasy books. Anne McCaffrey's Pern novels are wonderful, and her son Todd's aren't too bad either. Mercedes Lackey's Valdemar books are good too. They are usually in trilogies set in the same world some of the later books are even the same characters. Jim Butcher has two series' One fantasy (aleran codex) one ongoing....umm...not sure how to classify it. Harry Dresden is a modern day wizard in Chicago, AND a huge smart alec. David Eddings' books are good too.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:54 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• The Left Behind series is really, really good....it's a fictionalized story based on the book of Revelations talking about the things that happen after The Rapture....even if you arent really religious, they are still a good read
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 1:32 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Colleen McCullough ("The Thorn Birds", "First Man in Rome" series...) writes excellent historical fiction, delving deep into the history and culture while braiding intense multigenerational family dramas.

"The Godfather" by Mario Puzo is even better than the movie (one of my favorite movies of all time). Dark, chilling, and fascinating.

Juliet Marillier ("Sevenwaters" trilogy, "The Bridei Chronicles"...) writes fantasy in a historical setting. Read "Daughter of the Forest", it's her best. It's like walking through someone else's dream.

Mercedes Lackey writes fun fantasy that won't go over your head. Fun characters, fast plots, good setting. Although I didn't finish the series, the first four "Wheel of Time" books by Robert Jordan were really fun.

"The Agony and the Ecstasy" by Irving Stone--historical fiction about the life of Michelangelo.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 6:01 PM on Feb. 28, 2011