A friend just found out her daughter has autism

she wants to learn more about this, is there any website, books that i can recommend to her.

jenn4443

Asked by jenn4443 at 11:45 AM on Feb. 28, 2011 in General Parenting

• www.autismspeaks.org

One of the best resources for autism. 

TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 12:01 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Sorry, I can't really help you, but...

The doctor who diagnosed should have given her tons of information and websites to gain further knowledge on Autism. She should contact a local Easter Seals and/or Board of MR/DD so she can find out the level of Autism her daughter has so that she can get specific information.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 11:57 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• She should call her local or state autism society - they will send her tons of updated information on autism and what services are available where you live. I would caution against just going to the library and getting books though, I started reading some of them when my son was diagnosed and they were extremely depressing. If she gets books, she will want to make sure they are fairly recent - autism is looked at very differently now than it was years ago.

Answer by missanc at 1:09 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• There is a group here, I am a member. Autism/Aspergers/pddnos. It's a huge group with moms of children with autism and others who work with kids with autism. Autism Speaks has good information. Also, tell her to contact her local chapter of the Autism Society, or the national branch.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 2:32 PM on Feb. 28, 2011