christmas question

So my husband and i had a disagreement he says i spent to much money on our 5 month old for christmas by then she will be six. I got her 7 outfits and 3 toys totaling around 400.00. he told me that there was no reason for me to spend that much on her. I told him to get over it she is my first child and ill do what i want our bills are paid so why worry. Was i wrong at spending this much or should i just not worry about it.

dewey_scoles

Asked by dewey_scoles at 3:26 PM on Nov. 20, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• omg my hubby spent like two hundred and fifty on her bday (first bday like two weeks ago) and that was not including the decorations or cake and ice cream i told him it was not christmas he said yea i know just wait til christmas. tell him to calm down it is only once a year and it only gets more expensive the older they get
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 3:31 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Holy crap- it doesnt sound like you got much for the amount you spent. Were the toys large toys?
    ZoeKatsMom

Answer by ZoeKatsMom at 3:32 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Yes they were large one and are for 6 to 36 months so i dont see a problem
    dewey_scoles

Answer by dewey_scoles at 3:37 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• if u can afford it and it didnt hurt ur bank account too bad, then it isnt that bad that u spent so much. but i dont think im buying my baby anything for christmas just cuz they wont really remember, they are too little to open presents. once they are old enough to shake presents and unwrap them is when i'd start buying presents. but if u have the money, then why not?
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 3:45 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• OMG- I spend like $100 on both of my daughters first christmas's because our oldest was only 3 months old and the youngest was only a week old on her first christmas. They were too young to even get the concept. I can fully understand spending money on clothes, because both of mine need a certain amount of seasonal clothes when the weather changes. But I don't know if I would even be able to comprehend 400.00 for one child. I am almost finished christmas shopping for two toddlers for christmas and me and DH spend a total of 300.00. At finish both will only have about 130.00 spent on them each, and thats even alot for us right now. If you have the money its okay I suppose to sepnd it.
    BabyBeans0506

Answer by BabyBeans0506 at 3:51 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• I dont know... I think its a bit much. I am planning to make her a bunch of things (quilts, stuffed animals etc). but as far as spending money. I wont buy toys because at 6 months, she already has too much (first grandchild, and first great-grandchild). My mom called last night and rattled off at least 15 things she has already gotten her for Christmas. I just dont see the need to get anything else. I may buy a couple things, but she will just be interested in the wrapping paper anyways.
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 4:03 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• That's a lot to me. For my daughter who was 7 months last christmas, I went shopping after christmas and got some good deals. The family got us so much stuff, we really didn't need much. It was nice to not worry about having to get her anything since she doesn't understand. She had more fun playing in our open boxes and wrapping paper than with her toys. Another good option is to take the money you would have spent and open an account or a college fund for your child.
    Anonymous

• Honestly? The money is joint money right? In that case, whether you could afford it or not, major expenditures (which total spend of $400 would fall under) ought to be agreed upon before you spend it. I'm not saying you ask permission. I'm saying you discuss it as partners with shared income resources. Each year, DH and I agree on a total Christmas budget. Then I break that down into a 'per person' allocation. I run it by him before I start spending. It's *our* money and I think it's important we both agree on how we spend it.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 4:11 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Sorry but I agree with him. She'll never remember this. I'd buy her something small and maybe a few outfits and put the rest of the money in some kind of savings bond or something for her.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 4:12 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Honestly I think that is a CRAZY amount to spend on a baby!!! If I were your husband I would be upset too. My baby will be 5 months at Christmas and I spent like $25 on him.... he's a baby.. he won't even remember what he got. Everyone else will spoil him for his first Christmas anyway.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:47 PM on Nov. 20, 2008