Are you telling your family what names you've picked or keeping it to yourselves?

SweetLuci

Asked by SweetLuci at 11:51 AM on Feb. 28, 2011 in Baby Names

• We usually only tell them once we've reached a final decision. It never helps to discuss prospective names because then they want to add their $0.02. Once we pick a name, we say, "Hey, we are naming the baby _____. Thought you'd like to know."
    fancyjane

Answer by fancyjane at 10:17 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I made the mistake of telling with all 4 of mine- I should have learned my lesson the first time! lol If I ever have another one(which I want to, but DH isn't quite on board with it lol) I won't tell anyone until we have the baby. Then they can't say they hate the name, or it sounds like blah blah blah- who can look into a baby's face and say, 'ewww! That name sounds like a filthy old man!'? lol
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 12:06 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• No I never have. Partly because my husband and I can never make up our minds until the end, and partly because who would tell you once you've named your born baby "Oh, no, not that!"
    StacN8

Answer by StacN8 at 12:07 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I told. I didn't care if someone stole my name, wouldn't stop me from naming my child that.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 2:48 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I told with my first child, but never again. It is kind of hard for someone to go on about how they hate your child's name when they are holding said child in their arms.
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 3:14 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• We told. We had a friend who used the name we chose when her baby was born first. Then she got really angry when I still used the name. However, we spelled it differently and it took me forever to pick that name. I think if you don't care about stuff like that or people's opinions, that it is fine to share.
    ShaunnaMichelle

Answer by ShaunnaMichelle at 7:03 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• we did, the only person who didn't like the name we chose was our MIL and her only excuse for not liking it was it had too many syllables, then I pointed out that it had the same amount of syllables as her sons name. then she just sort of sputtered some nonsense.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 7:41 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I wouldn't tell the family just because the family may try to get you to change the name to something they like instead of the name you like. But if you are not sure of the names you picked out they may be able to help you narrow the names down to just a few names.
    Mom0413

Answer by Mom0413 at 10:38 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• If I have another baby I'm keeping it to ourselves.
    chunkyhoney78

Answer by chunkyhoney78 at 6:54 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I would tell
    TXColter

Answer by TXColter at 1:15 PM on Mar. 3, 2011