What do you think of naming the baby after a relative?

SweetLuci

Asked by SweetLuci at 11:52 AM on Feb. 28, 2011 in Baby Names

• All of my children are named after relatives, as am I.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 5:54 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• to me, as long it's a grandparent or older. i'm not fond of naming a child after a parent (unless said parent is deceased). "i'm naming you to honor myself" lame. my girls both have names from great grandmothers
    ilovemymonsterr

Answer by ilovemymonsterr at 6:06 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• My first son has my husband's first name and his middle name is my father's name. My second son's middle name is his great great grandpa's name.
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 11:55 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• mky son is named after both his grandfathers
    mandynjohnsmom

Answer by mandynjohnsmom at 11:58 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• SO is named after his dad, SS is named after his grandpa, DD is named after my mom, TBD child will be named after SO's mom or my dad if it's a boy.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:58 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• My daughter's middle name is the same as her great-grandmother's. I would have made it a first name but there are too many relatives with that same name as a first name. I didn't want to confuse things any more and wanted my daughter to have her own identity.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:59 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I think it's a wonderful tradition, especially if you were close to the relative. I would just be careful about not giving my child a very old fashioned name just to honor a relative, your child still has to live with this name for the rest of their lives!
    hrh.sassypants

Answer by hrh.sassypants at 12:00 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• my dd's middle name is after my dad and my ds's middle name is after both his great grandfathers
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 12:03 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• My DD's middle name was my mom's middle name.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 12:08 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Honestly, I don't like the idea. My brother has the same name as my dad and he legally has to put the "JR" at the end of his name.

My husband's sister named her son after both his grandfathers...his first name is same as paternal, his middle name is same as maternal...and every time he is introduced to someone at a family gathering, it goes like this: "This is John Robert, he's named after......." I always cringe for him.

Even in DD's case, her middle name is the same as her BMom's grandmother's first name (adopted...BMom requested we do that) and when we've been told in front of BFamily what a pretty name she has, either BMom or BGma will step up and say "She's named after...." I stand there silently thanking God that although it is the same, I spelled it different on the birth certificate!

I think to do so is nice in that it honors that relative, but yet it isn't in that it takes away some of that child's identity.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 12:09 PM on Feb. 28, 2011